Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String that sounds like Slowounds???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Does anyone know of strings that sound like Slowounds?
    I'm trying to put them into a little review I'm doing. Big bottom/low mids, less bright?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Thomastik-Infeld SuperAlloys reminded me a lot of Slowounds. They aren't exactly the same, but pretty close to me.

3. To me they sounded alot like XL's just more bass and warmth. And the higher notes had a special almost singing ring to them, as I recall. Bad move to have them discontiued.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Slowwounds have been discontinued but all D'addario strings are slowwound now. I think XL's are the same as the old slowwounds. Every time I come across slowwounds in stores I buy them, I currently have 6 or 7 new sets :cool:

5. I have to say that XL's are not the same as Slowounds. XL's are brighter, and have an over all diffrent tone. Slowounds are more 'thick' sounding, more bottom IMO.

I came across a store that had some Slowounds left, and I bought 4 packs - $10.00 a POP. NICE!! 4 for $40.00

can't beat that!

6. bassmaned

bassmaned

Dec 20, 2005
    I need my slowwounds. I very much dislike the today's XL. Never much cared for them in the past. I tried them again recently and I was reminded why I dislike them. They last about 1 week.

7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

I have a brand new set of Slowounds just waiting to go on my bass. I've had them for for three years now. Maybe I'll put them on next Christmas.

:)

Joe.

8. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    The XL's don't sound much different to me. I think it was an honest move by D'addario to stop production of the Slowounds and I used to use them. I now use the XL's and am very happy with them. I kind of thought the marketing behind the Slowounds was a lot of hype anyway. Thank God for the tone control on my Bass.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i just miss the different colored silks...can't get the sheehan snarling dogs anymore either, which were the only other string that i know of that has multiple silk colors in a set...i've been using XL's since the slowounds got discontinued, to my dissatisfaction...this thread is old...

10. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    Yes, this thread is old ! A pawn shop down the street from me still has D'addario Slowounds for sale. I was in the shop about three weeks ago and they had four sets , 105-45. I asked the guy how much he would sell them for and he said ten bucks a set. I thought that was funny. I remember when D'addario quit producing Slowounds people where buying sets like it was the end of the world.

11. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Never played Slowwounds but the description that I hear sounds a bit like TI Superalloys.