1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String Theory

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by migo_de_bajo, Mar 24, 2005.

1. migo_de_bajo

migo_de_bajo

Feb 23, 2005
    :help:I have a Yamaha TRB5 (series I), which is a very solid, relatively heavy bass that seems to have a fairly high-frequency natural resonance. I think that from about low E up to about C, that the strings are not getting much help from the vibration of the guitar as a whole. At its worst, this can result in what I call a "duff" attack to finger-plucked notes and high, squirrelly overtones on thumped notes.

In the past I have always used D'addario nickels (XLs or SlowWounds) but recently put on a set of DR steels. It surprised me how much I liked them, at least initially, because I thought the steels would be overly bright for the TRB. Instead, they seemed to bring out the fundamental and lower mids. After about 3 weeks of light play, the DRs seem like they might be getting "work hardened" a little. Especially the E string is starting to get kind of "duff" from G up to B.

With a heavy, stiff bass like my Yammie, are low-tension strings the way to go? I wonder if low-tension strings would be more satisfied to flop around in lower order harmonics, and less likely to lose energy into the instrument. Would more flexible strings tend to complement a solid bass like the TRB?

miguelito