Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String thinner at bridge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sandman1278, Apr 22, 2005.

1. I don't know what exactly these are called, but I was wondering what string manufacturer makes their strings thinner at the briddge and below the same way the thin down at the headstock.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    They're tapered, a lot of string manafactures make them, hit up www.juststrings.com or the likes and search for tapered strings.

Ray

3. THNX!

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Not a problem, enjoy your stay at TB - the world's best place to be 24/7!

Ray

5. Rotosound (perhaps among others) makes an exposed core string. No windings pass over the bridge.

6. Avs

Avs

Feb 19, 2001
    Taipei, Taiwan
    La Bella Super Steps is exposed core as well. It sings very well, great to play chords. Fast response, total clarity, but might requires light touch.

For a bass that I will play in harder touch (like my maple/ash Esh Notorious Jazz), I prefer tapered core to exposed core because I am afraid I will break it. Dean Markley SR2000 is a great set I used to put on my Esh. Super Steps sounds more "modern" on my Esh. However, I prefer it to be more Mucus Miller sounding, which SR2000 performs better.

7. jointus

jointus

Sep 20, 2003
    SATX
    Ken Smith makes 'Taper Core' strings, which just have one winding at the bridge. These are not the same as 'exposed core' strings.

Here's the link: link

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I was advised against using Taper core strings by one Pierre Laporte (Pro Luthier). I sort of forget his reason though, is there any reall big disadvantage to using them?

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Some people don't like the way they sound, although I find them easier to intonate for the B and E strings.

I doubt that there is a solid reason for absolutely not using them.

10. wow kens got .145 B strings, never seen em that thick b4

11. jointus

jointus

Sep 20, 2003
    SATX
    I haven't had any problems with the Ken Smith ones. I have been using them on four of my basses for the last few years.

12. I use the LaBella SuperSteps taper cores on all my F Basses. IMHO they sound brighter than any other design, with a li9ght touch as well. The bright sound means you can dial in almost any tone (i.e. back off the treble for less brightness) with little left hand effort.

I love 'em! :D