string through addition

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by davefarrell, Sep 18, 2006.

1. davefarrell

davefarrell

Aug 30, 2006
    is it possible to go to a music store and get my bass made into a string through body?

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    music store? most likely not

qualified luthier? most likely so depending on the specifics of the bass and hardware

to do this correctly, you need a bridge designed to accommodate a string-thru set-up, a drill press for accurately drilling the holes (a 4-step process in my shop), and a bass body style that is suitable for a string-thru mod (i.e. no hollow body, or cavities under the bridge)

depending on the exact scope of the job, it should range from one - three hours of shop time for a disassemble, drill work, installation of ferrules and bridge, reassemble, and intonation/set-up.

that's quite a load of $$$ for next to zero sonic difference ... IMO, of course

all the best,

R

3. yeah, it doesnt make enough of a difference to justify the cost, i looked into it a while ago thinking that since american basses had it, that it would be a worthwhile upgrade, but it turned out that that wasnt exactly true.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021