1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Through Body: Jazz 5 String

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by invisaman75, Mar 17, 2008.

1. invisaman75

invisaman75

Feb 7, 2008
    I have a nice 90's MIA Jazz 5 string neck that I am planning to buy a body. I was going to but a MIM body but may hold out for a MIA or a custom made. My question is can you add "String Through Body" to Fender body? Is it an expensive modification? Is it worth the trouble? As anyone done this?

I do notice the difference in sustain on the Fenders that I own that have "String Through Body" but sometimes that is not wanted. I still like having the option. I am think that I can take this slow (used MIM body) and on what I need without spending a lot up front (MIA or custom body).

Thanks!

2. You'd probably notice a tighter B string with a string through body also. I've also wondered about doing this. I'm thinking it's possible but you just have to get a different bridge and know exactly how to install it, drill holes exactly in the right spot, and learn how to install string ferules. Also, with changing the bridge, you may want to look at the specs of a 90's jazz bass so that there's no difference in length or size of the body since that may cause intonation problems if the bridge needed to be relocated. I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm subscribing to this so I can get some insight on this also.

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    pseudo acoustics - people hear a difference with string-thru because they think they should

I can understand a difference when using taper core strings, but this difference is due to the difference in sound between the string wrap vs. just the core resting on the bridge saddle

want a different sound and/or tightness? change your strings, string brand, and/or string gauge

all the best,

R

4. invisaman75

invisaman75

Feb 7, 2008

I do notice a difference on the Fender P and J basses I own. I have strung them both was and thru the body the strings have more bounce (I don't what to call it?) and it seem to have more sustain. Well after saying that ... then what do I know! :)

5. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    The increased sustain issue is debatable, but improving a floppy B does not happen by stringing through the body. You can wrap a 6 foot long string around the body 3 times and as long as the distance between the contact points (nut and saddle) is the same, you'll be getting the same tension.

6. I do too. maybe the way the string bends on the saddle is much sharper in thru body stringing, giving a better "witness" point?

7. Easy conversion. Drilling and counterboring. Nothing to it. Take your time laying out the hole locations and the drilling is fast. I've done it on two so far and the second "on deck" project will also have it. I noticed a difference on my "Badtz-Master" right away. I'm thinking the more acute angle over the saddle is the effective change. Can't have a "rip-out" event either.
    Josh