String through body "P" question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rugrat, Apr 27, 2005.

1. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    How will this design affect my future string purchases? I've noticed that the E string is tappered.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The taper of the E string isn't really an issue. However, the string-thru-body bridge is. Some "standard-length" strings will not fit right, for instance D'Addario Chromes will overlap the nut with the silk winding unless you get extra long. I recently put Chromes on my MIA Jazz and had to string them through the bridge instead of through the body for this reason.

Regarding the E string, the stock strings on MIA Fenders are Fender 8250's which have a round core and a tapered E. If you use strings which do not have a tapered E, you'll probably have to raise the E string bridge saddle.
  3. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I just put some Blue Steels on my MIA P-Bass and strung through the bridge. No problems in length or fit, despite the lack of a taper.
  4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a Lakland 55-01. Normally it's a 35" scale, but since I do it through the body, I get the D'addario Super Long set.

That's really the only issue with string-through. If your P is a 34"+, it'll mean finding longer strings will be a pain.

If your P is a shorter scale, it may actually make string purchases easier, since you can use the normal lengths right "off the rack" as it were.