Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String through body "P" question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rugrat, Apr 27, 2005.

1. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    How will this design affect my future string purchases? I've noticed that the E string is tappered.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The taper of the E string isn't really an issue. However, the string-thru-body bridge is. Some "standard-length" strings will not fit right, for instance D'Addario Chromes will overlap the nut with the silk winding unless you get extra long. I recently put Chromes on my MIA Jazz and had to string them through the bridge instead of through the body for this reason.

Regarding the E string, the stock strings on MIA Fenders are Fender 8250's which have a round core and a tapered E. If you use strings which do not have a tapered E, you'll probably have to raise the E string bridge saddle.

3. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I just put some Blue Steels on my MIA P-Bass and strung through the bridge. No problems in length or fit, despite the lack of a taper.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a Lakland 55-01. Normally it's a 35" scale, but since I do it through the body, I get the D'addario Super Long set.

That's really the only issue with string-through. If your P is a 34"+, it'll mean finding longer strings will be a pain.

If your P is a shorter scale, it may actually make string purchases easier, since you can use the normal lengths right "off the rack" as it were.