1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String-through bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillMason, Jun 4, 2007.

1. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I just (oops again) bought this on eBay... I noticed too late that the bridge is a string through, and I've never played one of those before. How will it be different from a string-over bridge in tone and playability? Can I use the same strings?

Also notice the bridge pickup, which the original owner placed in himself - he says it is measured properly for a string through (?). Next question is whether I can replace this bridge with a BAII, which I have in a drawer, unfiled, or will the bridge pickup be too close to the string saddles and give me a weird tone?

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It looks like the bridge pickup is already supremely close to the bridge, which creates such a thin sound... its definately not in a "standard" position for Fenders, including the American ones with String-Thru.

I don't know if your Badass will fit. You'll need to measure it when you get it.

A cool bass, though. I dig the black!

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you use the BAII you will not be able to String through. When you buy new strings you can use whatever you want for strings The only difference between String through and top load is about an inch and a half. In theory you should get more sustain with string through over Top load.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021