1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

string through vs non string through?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skaismyhero, Jul 22, 2008.

1. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    I am going to buy an american standard precision but replace the body (for a sweet paint job). The problem is that the american standard has a string through body. The new body im getting does not. Im going to put a badass bridge on the new body to fix the problem with the stock string through bridge, but what differences in sound and tone can I expect when I change from string through to non :eyebrow:

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The addition of a BadAss bridge will make more of a difference than the thru-body vs. thru-bridge options IMO.

Riis

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I won't answer the bridge question as I think tonal differences from bridge changes are largely moot.

My question to you is this: Why are you going to buy an already assembled bass just to switch out the body? If you already have a body why not simply buy a neck, hardware and pickups/electronics. Something tells me it would be an awful lot cheaper and would afford you choices beyond what's available when buying a Fender off the shelf.

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    +1. Especially since the new American Standard P is such a sweet bass. If you already have the other body, I'd just buy a neck for it and keep the new P as it is. But that's just me. It's your bass. ;)

5. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    I figured someone would probably bring this up. I love the look/sound/feel of the new 08 precisions. The only thing I don't like is the paint colors. I want to buy a seafoam green body to put on it for only 200 something. Also, buying other individual parts would take some time to buy and assemble. I have enough money to do it either way, but playing one of teh new 08s made me want to buy one :smug:

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I honestly can't hear any difference between stringing through and not.

7. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    awesome! Thats what I wanted to hear haha

8. frankenp

frankenp

Jul 17, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    I have 2 P basses:

Bass 1: A MIM P bass with hipshot tuners and a Badass II (not string thru).

Bass 2: 2008 USA Standard P bass all stock (string thru).

There is no comparison. The New 08 P has sustain that lasts for days. Much, Much longer than my souped up MIM.

I think this is due to a much tighter neck pocket (no gap like my MIM), the wood and finished used for better resonance, and the crazy new string thru bridge with added mass.

Please don't hack up an 08 they are perfect.... I'll cry....lol

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA

If you are going to gut the body anyway to change out all the parts, why not just gut it and have it refinished to the color you want?

10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It could also be because of the graphite-reinforced neck.

Mike

11. frankenp

frankenp

Jul 17, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    True... Forgot about that!

12. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Here's my take,my bass has both options.Am.Dlx Jazz.I don't like the idea of that sharp kink in the string coming out of the body,I feel it lessens the strings core strength and has an adverse effect on the sound as opposed to a straight pull in the conventional way _top loading.:eyebrow:Weird as that sounds.Buy the 08 color you like the best It may grow on you.Mine is black and I have 3 different color pickguards.Everytime I get a GAS attack I just change to a different color.

13. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    Well I want to keep the body original so that I could switch back to the regular 08 at anytime. Also I think Refinishing might be about the same price as the body but I have no idea.

Edit: looked up some refinishing prices. 200 seems like an average price for professional refinishing

14. frankenp

frankenp

Jul 17, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    Maybe you could buy your 08 in white or black and customize it with a seafoam green pickguard instead.

Just a thought. Might look pretty cool.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The only thing string-through is really good for is holding the string-through ferrules in the bass.

16. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    i dont really see that much of a difference (i have a am hot rodded p bass). i have tried both and its not noticable to me...maybe if i busted out a stop watch there would be a difference. and as for bending the strings and all that...its not going to damage the string anymore then playing a not (as the string is bent by the fret)...or sticking the wire in a tuner... all of those bend the core too:)

17. ... I must say I really like the Ibanez ATK string-through, the sustain is close to Spinal Tap levels.

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    To me, this makes much more sense.

19. +1 just get it refin'd. If you really want that custom colour then it's worth it - resale will be affected but you're not buying it for resale, right?

20. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    you can buy a nice graphite reinforced neck built entirely to Fender specs from Warmoth, Allparts, Mighty Mite, and many others. these necks will feel as good, if not better than, the '08's IMO

add that to your body that you already have, get some Nordstrand NP4's, a wiring harness from Bayou Audio Cables, a BAII bridge, and you're still in well under the price of an 08.
    and... the components will be better than on the '08!!!:hyper:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021