Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string through vs. regular

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mindflow, Jun 3, 2005.

1. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    forgive me if this has already been covered, i tried to search but couldnt find anything. what is the difference in sound between a string through body or a regular bridge?

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Very little. The speaking portion of the string is still the same tension on a string-through as it would be on a regular bridge piece. People will say they sound different, but it's really more of a placebo than anything.

3. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I believe that some people think there is more sustain with string through. I thought I read that here.
    RD

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, i've never noticed any big difference ;)

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    SINCE I BOUGHT MY new mia p-bass, ive been stringing it through the body because thats how it came. i tried to string my last set through the bridge(like every other bass ive owned) and it sounded no different.

6. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I can't tell any difference. I believe that it is a semi-successful marketing promotion.

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    It's easier to string sometimes. It's also easier for strings to BREAK since it's at an extreme angle when coming out of the ferrules. I suspect that you would get slightly better sound results if you had a piezo bridge with string through. Just a theory.

-Eric.

8. I string through the body because

if my bass already has holes drilled into the back of it

I might as well use them

9. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I have a Lakland which gives you both options at the same time. I find threw the bridge my strings are a little more 'floppy'. I also can get lower action with no buzz threw the body.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The sound of the bass player saying "Darnit!" when they can't find strings to fit.

11. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    There is a difference. Physically, there must be because it is different and therefore by definition there is a difference. Is it a difference you can hear? Ah....good question. Is the difference (if it can be heard) an improvement? Even better question...the only one that matters, IMO.

If we think about it, if the string were completely flush with the saddle (witness point), there would be no downward pressure and buzzing would result. Therefore, the greater the break angle against the saddle, the greater the downward force. This has no effect on tension however. With a fixed length and diameter, tension and pitch are one and the same. So, with a strings-thru setup, there must be a greater downward force on the saddle. OK, so what? Well, logic would dictate that there would be greater acoustic/mechanical coupling between the string and the body this way, just like tightening the connectors on your car battery sometimes make the difference between the car starting and not. So, there must be a difference.

But, I would submit it's slight. IME, it seems to make the strings sound slightly more compressed and fatter with a corresponding decrease it that Jaco-esque "burp". Again, it's a pretty slight difference, and I have yet to see anyone who can pick out the diff in a mix. There are so many other variables that will make a much bigger difference in your tone, that I wouldn't worry about this one if I were you.

FWIW, my main 5 is thru-body or top load. After experimenting, I string the G and D thru with the others top-load for the reasons I cited earlier...YMMV.

12. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    thanks marcus

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I still prefer the faster and easier changing with quick-change/open-top bridges :p

14. I didn't know Placebo Bryson played bass?

Randy :rollno: