1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String through?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big mark, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Hi guys, I have a telecaster and love the feel that a string through gives so had a look around but could you guys throw some examples of string through bass's
    Must be a current available model under £/$1000
    cheers

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Please explain.

3. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Hi Bongo
    On my string through guitars I seem to get more vibration transmitted through the body wood when compared to my standard bridge guitars

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A lot of Laklands are string-through, I believe. They seem to be between $800 - $1500 US, which I think is in your price range.

5. Deef

Deef

Sep 28, 2011
    Cork - Ireland
    Funnily enough, the Fleabass has string through!

6. bassyogi

bassyogi

Jul 23, 2012
    Sardis Ohio
    I think the Fender American Deluxe and American Standard series is string through. Not sure about their import series though.

7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    The Schecter Diamond P is string through for around $500

8. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    My USA Jazz and my G&L L-2500T both have through body stringing. I use it but general consensus around this parts suggest it makes bog all difference to your "tone".

9. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks guys
    I agree, I don't think the tone changes at all, I just seem to feel it more through the body.... That could just as much be the different wood used though

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I wonder if stringing the B string though the body would help with the floppy problem some 34 scale basses have.

11. Some people think it´s better. My experience with my L2500 is diferente. I´ve made Ken´s bridge mod (use the troguh body holes for attaching the bridge on the body with 5 more screws) and the B string actually got better strung trough the bridge.

12. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    I have the string thru body option on my Yamaha BB424 and my 2012 Fender AmStd Jazz bass. I've strung them both that way, and normally through the back of the bridge, and am not ashamed to say that I can't tell the difference at all.

I'm sure that some people can hear or feel it but they are probably the same people who can magically hear the difference between a rosewood and maple fingerboard or whether somebody is using a .100 or .105 E string...

13. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

Aug 1, 2012
    Belgium
    I also have a Tele with both options, and I noticed that the string tension is a bit "stiffer" with the strings going thru the body...
    Some people like that of course.

14. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Fire up the bongs and get your therapeutic healing crystals out - here we go.

15. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    *** is THAT supposed to mean?

16. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Sig worthy!!! Love it.

17. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Exactly. I've got three G&L L2500s and you can string them either through body or bridge anchor. I've had them through-body on and off but the big hassle is not the tone (which is the same either way) but that the through-body requires extra-long strings.

So if I'm ordering strings online and the extra-long ones are the same price, I get them just for drill. But I'm not going to make a religion out of the through-body thing and certainly not pay more for strings just to have it. [Note my G&L bridge mounts have been modified with threaded inserts to eliminate the bridge pull-out problems with bridge-anchor strings.]