Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Thru and Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by christle, Dec 14, 2003.

1. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Anyone ever use flats on a string-thru body? I am debating putting flats on my Godin and wondered what was the best approach: through the body or through the bridge?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dan :bassist:

2. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I use flats on my CS Precision which has the original style 2 saddle string thru bridge. Never had any problems. Also used flats and tapewounds on my Tele Bass which had the same bridge. No reason to treat them any different from rounds. If you want to use them thru body and they're long enough, go right ahead.

3. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks for the response. I had ordered some JO flats and Lakland put a warning on the label stating not to do so as it can crack the string. I like the string-thru for the sustain and bright tone and was disappointed when I read that warning.

Dan

4. I don't like the harsh bend with any string, especially so with flats.

When paying top bux for TI Flats or Pyramid Gold, I couldn't bring myself to install them through-body.

5. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    All I can tell you is that I've used TI Jazz Flats, GHS Precisiion Flatwounds, Ernie Ball Group III Flats, Fender 9050 ML Flats and Labella Tapewounds strung through the body, with no problems.

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I am thinking of sticking with rounds on this bass and just using flats on my precision. I am going to think some more on this.

Dan

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I use TI Jazz Flats strung through the body of my Godin SD4. They've been on for about a year of frequent, vigorous playing with no problems. This bass sounded very good with roundwounds either top-loaded or through-body. Through the body, TI Flats sound phenomenal--this baby has TONE.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I use JO flats strung body though. Ive completly worn a set out four monthes(there starting to have some pitch issues) no problems

AJ

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    This is encouraging. With this news I am tempted to give it a whirl and see how it goes. The reason I wanted to put flats on in the first place is because I think they will flavour the tone of the Freeway such that it will be even more pleasing to my ear.

Dan :bassist:

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I have a lakland J.O. with string thru.
    Have used both TI and Roto flats, no problem.

11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks Mojo Man. They go on tomorrow morning :)

Dan

12. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    It was a moot point. They were too short to go through the body and sit properly on the nut. Unlike TI's I didn't feel like I could trim away much of the silk to compensate for the length (or lack thereof). I did string them through the bridge. I played the bass for 4 hours and off they came. Too much honkin'. The thump was nice but not what I would have expected out of this bass. I guess I have been thoroughly spoiled by TI's. In any case I went back to D'Addario XL165 Rounds. They sound great on the Godin.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Dan

13. I use D'Addario Chromes on my G&L L-2500. I had to special order them in super long scale, but they are available. That way you don't have to worry about them being too short. Some people don't like the Chromes, but I liked them better than the TI's. If Thomastik made a heavier guage I might try them again - they are a good company - I used their double bass strings for years.

14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks Rob. You have got me thinking again. Might be worth trying down the road. I am going to wait until I need to replace these strings.

Dan