Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Thru Body/Bridge (Whats more Aggressive/Growly)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Now I may have tomatoes thrown at me for this one, but for some odd reason, I find that Strung Thru Bridge (TopLoad) has a more aggressive sound. A little more vintage, a little more growly and edgy.
    I almost find string thru-body has a "boominess" to it, where TopLoad is more even in response, but had a sort of "edge" to it.

What’s your thoughts?

*Modern Growl prepares for tomatoes to fly*

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I also find toploading more growly, agressive and better sounding.

When stringing trough the body, it seems that i get less string tension, and a more "muted" sound with less harmonics and "freeness", if you see what i mean ;).

Anyway, this is just my opinion,
    -Erlend

3. Yeah, I dont understand why String-thru Body is so desired.

Anyone elses thoughts?

Where are the tomatoes?

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I guess that String-trough is wanted for the same cause of "neck-trough" construction, because people are forced to believe that it's the best opiton ;).

Personally, i dislike neck-trough construction because of it's tone and feel, though other people generally prefer it over bolt-on.

Well well :). (expects tomatoes too)

:D

5. Anyone else with your thoughts? I thought this would be a popular topic!

6. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    i have 2 fender (one fretless) USA jazz basses, both fairly recent models. one has a badass2 on it and the other the original string thru body design bridge. i use rotosound strings.
    the badass 2(which is top loading of course) sounds wicked anyway, gives it a lot more sustain and clearer sounding tone. the string thru body design doesn't seem to do anything apart from make a more rubberey muted sound, it also effect the strng tension making it less brittle and more soft, losing the snap which is no good for slap and for finger style seems to take away some punch.
    but this could in actual fact be a good thing for players wishing to get that bouncy macca sound or a 60's noel redding tone. Logically i would have thought the thru body desing would give it more sustain but it seems to be the opposite.

7. SO IT OFFICIAL!!! lol........

All 3 of us are in agrement. String thru body stinks!

Well, atleast for what I'm going for it stinks! I always knew I liked topload better, but for some reason I always thought just because my bass had string thru body design, that it was better, and I had to go thru the body.

thanks guys! :hyper: You have confirmed my feelings!

8. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    If i get my recording stuff up and running, i could make some comparison clips where i use topload stringing on one clip, and "trough body" on the other!

Anyone interested?

9. The theory with sting through is you get more sustain and that is the classic electric bass sound. The same for neck through more sustain but less zing so slappers would do better top loaded and finger style players get whatthey want string through. there is no right and wrong or good or bad only personal preferences . :cool:

10. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Erlend, sounds like a plan! I might do the same, my Traben has string-thru body with optional toploading. Problem is, I can't find any strings long enough... What strings would be long enough for a 35" scale length bass, with a string-thru body? That'd be about 40" winding length, so about 45" total length, right?
    I'd like strings that have loads of growl to them, good for, say, metal or funk. I don't really know what guage I'd prefer. I kill strings within a month and a bit because of my super acidy hands :crying:

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Most of my basses have toploading, but my 1998 Jazz can only be strung through the body. Doesn't bother me in the least. That bass sounds absolutely great as it is, and I would never replace the bridge because of it. And the sound gets as agressive as I choose to play it. Agression comes from me, not the bass.

12. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    true :cool:

13. bump.

figuried I'd try to revive this one. I think alot of people would like to know.

14. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Good idea. I've found a set of strings that are long enough to be strung through the body! (Btw, if you haven't already, try these strings! D'ddario ProSteels :bassist: )
    Haven't not heard these strings toploading yet I can't really compare them... But it seems like through the body I'm getting a warm and punchy sound - Not really growly, but easier on the ears. Smoother maybe. And much nicer to slap too!

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've tried string-thru and top-load on the same bass using the same string set. Didn't notice one bit of difference.

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i tried it both ways. i dont hear/see/feel a difference.

17. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I would sort-of agree with this. First off, the difference is pretty subtle for those who say they can't hear it...I can see why; it ain't like flats vs rounds.

In general, I would say that through-body gives a more compressed sound...kinda like neck through vs bolt on. The top loading seems to yield a tighter sound. It's for this reason that I actually string though my G and D strings leaving the A E and B top-loaded. To me, it helps to even the sound out a bit.

18. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

No difference found on my Fender RB5 :eyebrow: , it all sounds good to me.

H2

19. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Think about it scientifically, folks.

It makes NO difference in string tension.

Whether or not it affects the sound depends on the characteristics of the body. If you have a resonant body, string-through would actually result in less sustain (assuming better coupling to the body from the string-through design).