Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String thru body + Flatwounds = Neck bow?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by canopener, May 26, 2004.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    So, I just got my MIA hotrod P from the previous owner yesterday, and I took it in to get the trussrod adjusted today. But I was wondering, the string tension on my MIM jazz is not too tight, nor too floppy with D' Chromes. However, with my strung thru body Precision, the string tension is a bit high for my liking (again, with D' Chromes). Anyway, I when I checked out the neck bow after the setup was done, it was nice. But now, a few hours later I noticed it's bowed slightly. I know it takes a day or so for the wood to adjust, but would it straighten out, and then bow again? Should the string tension be accountable? Thanks, I did a search, but didn't quite get the specifics...

2. It's something that takes time. Wood needs some time to settle in so keep turning that truss rod once a bit every day until it reaches the right point.

3. To lower the neck relief, turn the truss rod clockwise. To raise the relief, turn the truss rod counter-clockwise. It is important not to turn the truss rod too much in any direction. Never turn it more than a quarter turn at a time, and always give the neck time to adjust itself to the change. A little goes a long way in truss rod adjustments.

Bass Setup Manuals

[​IMG]

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

[​IMG]

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Thanks guys, I had read some of those setup manuals before, and considered doing it myself, but I didn't want to muck up the job the first time. But still, I was wondering, if I'm using flats (or any other higher tension string, for that matter) strung thru the body, could this lead to more frequent neck adjustments?

5. When I got my Hamer 2TEK CruiseBass, I installed Fender heavy flats to replace the medium-light roundwounds that were on it and the neck bowed. I knew it was coming because of the increase in tension. I straightened it to my liking and haven't had any issues since. I agree that the strings-through-body bridge has no bearing on this.