1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String thru body + Flatwounds = Neck bow?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by canopener, May 26, 2004.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    So, I just got my MIA hotrod P from the previous owner yesterday, and I took it in to get the trussrod adjusted today. But I was wondering, the string tension on my MIM jazz is not too tight, nor too floppy with D' Chromes. However, with my strung thru body Precision, the string tension is a bit high for my liking (again, with D' Chromes). Anyway, I when I checked out the neck bow after the setup was done, it was nice. But now, a few hours later I noticed it's bowed slightly. I know it takes a day or so for the wood to adjust, but would it straighten out, and then bow again? Should the string tension be accountable? Thanks, I did a search, but didn't quite get the specifics...

2. It's something that takes time. Wood needs some time to settle in so keep turning that truss rod once a bit every day until it reaches the right point.

3. To lower the neck relief, turn the truss rod clockwise. To raise the relief, turn the truss rod counter-clockwise. It is important not to turn the truss rod too much in any direction. Never turn it more than a quarter turn at a time, and always give the neck time to adjust itself to the change. A little goes a long way in truss rod adjustments.

Bass Setup Manuals

[​IMG]

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

[​IMG]

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Thanks guys, I had read some of those setup manuals before, and considered doing it myself, but I didn't want to muck up the job the first time. But still, I was wondering, if I'm using flats (or any other higher tension string, for that matter) strung thru the body, could this lead to more frequent neck adjustments?

5. When I got my Hamer 2TEK CruiseBass, I installed Fender heavy flats to replace the medium-light roundwounds that were on it and the neck bowed. I knew it was coming because of the increase in tension. I straightened it to my liking and haven't had any issues since. I agree that the strings-through-body bridge has no bearing on this.