1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String-thru-body Precision bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've owned a MIA Precision for about 3 weeks now. it has the string-thru-body feature, and also comes with Fender SuperBass 8250 (I believe) and not the 7250's I'm used to on my MIM Precision.

I would like to know what others think about the string-through-body, and the heavier strings on the MIA Precision. Everytime I would play the USA Precision, I could swear I was hearing very subtle overtones or harmonics, plus the heavier strings were harder to mute - quite noisy. I finally put 7250's on it, and strung it through the bridge - not the body. That was much better, but since I changed two things, I now want to go back through the body and see how it sounds with 7250's instead of 8250's. Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything good. I've read others who say this is kind of a "6 of one, half dozen of the other" thing. Oh, and last, the S-1 - I find that worthless, but I don't care - the Precision is still worth the money for sure - maybe someday there will be a need for the S-1 that I can't envision right now. Man, the Precision sure does sound good - like a sure thing.

Skel

Simonon Paul Simonon likes this.
  2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I have no experience with string-through-the-body Precisions, but I had an early (1979) Stingray strung that way (I believe that was the only option), and to me it sounded deader or more muffled than Ernie Ball Stingrays, which are strung through the bridge. I've heard others say the same thing.

3. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis

I had the same issue with mine, I was getting a pile of weird overtones (especially on the E) I strung it through the bridge and it went away.

4. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Go with your ears and set it up the way you think is better. Regarding pre EB Stingrays, I have one and much prefer it to the modern equivalent (I owned both at the same time and off loaded my 90's version) with much better growl and better depth.

5. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    i have mia p and j basses with the string through body bridge. they are all strung through the body using the stock super 8250's. all have been professionally set up by the same tech and i do not have any problems with weird overtones or unwanted harmonics. i don't know if stringing through the body is any better than top loading, it's just they way i like my fenders set up. the 8250's are not for everyone. so it seems. i played six string so long with a 128 or a 130 b, that the 110 e is not an issue regarding playability for me. i did find that the 110 sounds huge in the mix in the studio. those strings add a lot of depth to my bass tracks. that is what a big gauge string brings to the table. imo. peace, jeff

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok - well thanks for the info - for some reason I have a hard time getting Fender strings at my GC - I think there is something going on I don't understand - like they don't stock them on purpose. Anyway, I had some 7250's and strung them through the bridge and I'm perfectly happy, so I'll just keep doing that. I am glad to see I'm not the only one, though.

7. MikeRS

MikeRS

Aug 16, 2005
    Clinton, MA
    My custom Fender strings through both the bridge and body, and I find that going through the body offers more support and a sound similar to that of the BadassII, but I haven't tried through the bridge yet.

For my strings I use DR gauged .45 to .105

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    question, which strings do u send through the body, and which through the bridge? I was thinking about some sort of combo, but had no idea where to start.

sorry about hijacking this bad boy:bag:

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like mine...
    FenderPrecision009.
    String-thru P.