Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Thru Body???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 16, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i'm working on a USA custom job jazz bass, and was offered a string thru body design. is this better than the usual bridge only stringing?? pros?? cons??

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I think anchoring the string in the body makes for better sustain, and better overall sound. I have no evidence to back this up, though.

You might get a similar effect with a bridge that has a massive anchor, like the Badass or the Hipshot cast (CNC'd?) bridges.

3. Sustain... although it is more subtle than the difference between bolt-on and neck-thru... and some people don't believe they can hear that!

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've noticed absolutely no difference in tone or sustain with string-thru-body versus string-thru-bridge, even when trying each method on the same bass. Just my observation.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm w/ Fuzz bass. The differnce, IMHO is so infinismally (is that a word?) small to my ears, that it doesn't matter. I can, however tell the difference between a regular L bridges, and the heavier Hipshot, ABM, ect bridges. I find ABM to be the best...

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Factors that seem to let a string-through realize real "sustain" enhancement include, (IMO);

- the quality of the bridge,
    - the material(s) it's made of,
    - if the bass is a neck-through
    - the types of wood used and their tap tone qualities

Some luthiers say the real advantage of string-throughs is the greater string length as it relates "coupling" with the wood, (more contact area with the body - more resonance/harmonic content)

Others say it is the steeper angle the strings break at over the saddles with string-throughs

Personally, I like `em. Leo didn't start out using the string-through design because he enjoyed the extra labor. Some luthiers don't want to abandon his original design either.

7. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    It would create additional stress on the bridge so you might want to go heavy duty on that.

Also drilling holes through the body may have adverse affects on the tone and harmonics, after all, the whole idea of a solid body bass is that it is solid.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    nanook-
    the term "solid body" is not meant to be interpretted as "without impressions/holes". It means that they instrument does not have an engineered soundchamber. Today, with so many pieces of crap out there, it also means that the body is a solid piece of wood, not laminated, making it basically a big piece of plywood. If it were you mean without holes drilled for structural necessities, what would become of the pickups, knobs, pickguards, output jacks, or bolt-on necks? Does these holes for the pickguard, etc. really affect the tone that much? Doubt it. The only substantial routings that will have much of an affect on tone will be the pickup and control cavaties.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    my mia jazz dlx is thru body, my mim jazz dlx isnt.

imo the strings on my mia feel a bit tighter and the bass doesnt have as "trebly" a sound when eq controls are set the same. This has alot to do with body wood, but i also think the bridge plays a slight role in it as well.