Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string thru body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Oct 25, 2002.

1. can i make a mexican precision string thru body? what would stop me from drilling the wholes in the body and sticking in those little metal things (i think they are called ferrules maybe?)

2. I can't tell you first hand that I have made a MIM Precision into a string thru. But, last year when I was looking for a new bass at our local Fender dealer, I asked if it was possible to do exactly what you have asked, to drill holes through the body and install ferrules. Their tech told me that it defintely could be done successfully. I ended up buying something other than Fender, so never tried the modification. Hope this helps.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The 2 aspects that would bug me most, intuitively, are;

1. Can you drill cleanly through the bridge metal ?

2. Even then, string-through-body bridges are different animals than surface bridges and not just in size and bulk. There are some calculations to be done regarding where the strings break over the saddles to produce good string tension to compensate for the length that goes through the body depending on the body thickness and bridge design.

On many string-through-body bridges, the holes are angled so that the larger gauge strings are set back farther away from the bridge than the higher gauge strings. Those measurements are don't by guess work.

If you're just thinking of going beyond the bridge and drilling holes into just the wood, that's pretty pointless. The bridge is built to transfer the vibrations, not the body.

Then again....what the hell? It's an MIM - plug in the drill and go nuts.

But the guys in the Luthiers Corner are the experts. They could give you really qualified answers.

4. well i was just planning on buying a fender MIA bridge, they come with the wholes in the bridge to go the thru body route...so i figured id just use those holes as a guide as to where i would drill the wholes in the body, i mean i thought about it alot, and i cant find any real problems with doing it, thats why i asked.

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think there is a problem... as long as the holes are strait and you accounted for the size of the ferrules on the back, I say go for it! It's not like you can't get another MIM body from ebay if you really trash it, and warmoth sells painted precision bodies for 235$ if you really need one.....

P@

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    is it better to have a string through body??

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    well, some people think so... I think it depends on taste... I like it. It does create better string tension, and a lot of people speculate that it creates better sustain....

P@

8. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i have a lakland 55-01 it was strung thru the body when i bought it, then i changed strings and strung it thru the bridge and honestly i couldnt tell any real difference between the two,IMHO,good-luck..

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I cannot tell the difference on my RB5 between the two. As of now it is strung through the bridge and not the body.