1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String thru body.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rytor12, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Rytor12

Rytor12

Jul 26, 2012
    Does anyone know of a company or someone who can make a custom change like making a bass a string thru body?

2. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    D.I.Y Enterprises.

;)

3. Rytor12

Rytor12

Jul 26, 2012
    may i have a link to said company?

4. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    You're kidding, right?

D.I.Y. = Do It Yourself

Why do you want to do the string-through mod?

5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Dewalt does a fine string-through conversion.

RiZzBot likes this.
  6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Kidding aside, any luthier can do it. Look for one in your area.

I trained a termite to do mine. :p

7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Its a pretty simple mod, but basically worthless.

8. Rytor12

Rytor12

Jul 26, 2012
    to Steveaux: hey you put enterprise at the end. lol never know if a company like that actually exist.

to ddnidd1: y do you think its worthless. i want opinions, i dont know if it does the same concept with guitars and adds some what more sustain or what.

9. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

I've tried it (because I purchased a bass that just happened to have that option) and it made zero difference in anything, other than I had to purchase longer strings.

The bridge on any bass is FIRMLY anchored to the bass body to counteract the high strain of bass strings. Anchoring the string through the body accomplishes nothing additional.

Do a search and you'll find folks who can not only hear a difference with string through but feel a difference in string tension. Total BS.

String tension is subject to the laws of physics, regardless of what someone 'thinks' they feel.

Do some reading and make up your own mind. But if it really made a difference, the string through option would be on every bass since its a Very Low Cost add on for a manufacturer.

10. Rytor12

Rytor12

Jul 26, 2012
    aight well thats what i was wanting to know. and i have done research, but its different when you actually talk to players who are not being payed to say what does what on a bass.

11. 96tbird

It's kind of a do it if you really want to thing. Just don't expect a miraculous transformation.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If you have a good high mass bridge. String thru adds nothing at all other then a little bit of felt string tension increase. In my experience with basses that offered both top load and string thru body option. Zero advantage to it. A better fix for basses with cheap thin bent metal bridge is bridge upgrade rather then string thru body conversion imo.

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    and IMO the "cheap thin bent-metal bridge" with the threaded-rod saddles is one of the keys to great classic fender tone!

(in reality it probably makes little difference either way, but i like the low-mass yet solid and stable design.)

14. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    If you really want to make a SLIGHT difference in sustain with thru-body modification, the only strings that will benefit from this option are low E, low B and low F sharp, if you're even going that low. And by slight, I mean very slight.
    As far as improving string tension, well that relies heavily on string brand, construction, and gauge. Since I played standard gauge Roto steels consistently for about 4 years, when I put them on my string-thru Fender jazz, I noticed a bit more string tension.

15. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Maybe it's my ears, but I never detected an appreciable difference when stringing through body with any number of different basses and strings brands.

16. 96tbird

More tension = Sharp notes. No other way around it. There is not more tension; its impossible.

17. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    No difference at all that I can tell. You can't tell on my Fender P because string through is the only option. But on my G&L it makes no difference at all. So I always top load.

18. Going through body makes the string more taut, or at least it sounds like it is. It flaps around less, creates a uh....tighter tone. I absolutely notice a different, just in plucking it and the tone in general. I compare it to going to a higher gauge string, or the difference to how taut the string feels when flipping my d-tuner back up to standard.

Sometimes I do it if I'm tuning to drop D a lot.

19. I like string thru basses. It's too complicated to explain and would cause a storm of criticism. If you can work a drill press, you can do the conversion. By the way, incresased string tension is impossible.
    Rocky

20. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It makes no difference at all. I did a real side-by-side comparison on my two Lakland 4-94s. I strung the E and D top-load with the A and G through body. I reversed it on the other bass. When they were due for restringing, I reversed the alternation again. Side-by-side, exact same set of strings at the exact same time, no difference in either feel nor sound. None.

And before I did the experiment, I was one who was convinced I was hearing and feeling a subtle but real difference.

Don't waste time/money/energy converting your bass to string through.

John