Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String thru MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TJBass, Mar 24, 2003.

1. I'm thinking of picking up either a Fender Custom Shop string thru bridge or a Badass string thru bridge for my 2002 MIM Jazz 4 string. Its not a priceless bass so I don't feel bad about modifying it. I saw a modulus done with a BA bridge and really liked it. I can get the Fender bridge with adjustable string spacing grooves in the saddles for $40 and the ferrells for another $10. Or the BA for more....

Which would be better?

I know the BA has more mass than the fender but how much difference will there be?

Thanx in advance....

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Unless the BA II is offering a new bridge, you'd have to drill the holes into the BA II also. I've never seen one that was string thru body unless it was modified after the fact.

Gotoh makes a string thru bridge that is alittle more mass than the Fender one. I believe it's the 206. <a href="http://warmoth.com/Bass/hardware/bassbridges.htm">CLICH HERE</a> for more info.

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i asked my luthier the same question before i opted to put a bas ass bridge on my mex j/bass, i to considered doing a string through bridge and came up with a couple of questions to ask myself before i went ahead an altered my bass, will a regular bad ass bridge give me enuff of an up-grade(yes it did on my bass)can you do it yourself or do you need to pay a pro to do it?and whoever does it,whether its you or a bass tech, will it be done well?and last but not least,why do i(you)feel the need to do so,is it THAT important to have a string through,ask around,read some more feedback and then make an educated decision. have fun:D
    PS. the bad ass i put on gave me all the bottom end and sustain i could have expected.:bassist:

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree with Geezer. If you're gonna do it your self & you feel comfortable that you won't mess anything up, it might be worth a shot. But if you're gonna have to pay someone to do it & you don't like the results, you'll be out a nice chunk of change.

A BadAss II or a Gotoh 210 will add a nice amount of sustain & clarity. 2 direct replacement bridges that will do a nice job.

A side note: The saddles of the BAII need to be slotted, so thier will be some extra work if you opt for that bridge.

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    wow!!! i actually have a opinion that someone agrees with ! thanks NINO(i'm not being sarcastic)
    i will not let this go to my head and start answering all the posts haphazardly
    :D

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i retract my above state-ment i guess i spoke to soon huh! NINO ?:mad:

7. I would definately do it myself. Would it be worth it? I say, sure. Its definately cheaper than buying a new bass. Its about the simplist thing you can do, if you can adjust a truss rod then you can surely install a new bridge and drive a few holes thru the body....right? LOL

Great opinions tho, I think I will go with the Gotoh 206. Much cheaper, as much mass as the BA, and get the string thru option.

I guess you have to ask yourself, why would someone buy a string thru bass? If not just to have one.....

I do all my own stuff, repaired my amp when the CC fried, replaced my own pups, completely refinished and rewired an old G-tar as well as doing my own setups. Its just too easy to do instead of paying someone else.

8. I have a gotoh 201 on my TBC, ad well as gotoh tuning machines. Great bass, kinda a pain to get the action done right, but it is close