String-to-string volume problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Mar 24, 2005.

1. I recently soaked my DR strings in some alcohol overnight to get some zingy-ness back. I noticed that the E string did not have as much zing as the other, but it had much more volume and fat tone than the others. My pickups are level, I didn't touch them when I put the strings back on. Could it be an action level problem?
  2. No! I bet the action is fine - you didn't alter it did you?

You probably won't hear the "zing" in the E anyway - at least to the extent you would in the smaller strings. The gaps in the voids between the windings of the E are larger and it's possible that there is more gunk in there than the soaking could remove. Perhaps a good boiling is in order? Then a nice 450º oven for 30 minutes to bake off the water and any oils left over.
  3. May I suggest something? I've been using lacquer thinner to soak my strings in. To be honest, I tried the stuff by just removing and wiping down my strings (I was in a hurry), let the stuff evaporate and then tried them. The strings sounded much better than any other boiling I've ever done.
    I've tried denatured alchohol, but it's a milder solvent and didn't work as well.

What I do now is soak my strings in lacquer thinner for about 30 minutes in a coffee can, pull each one out individually and wipe it down quickly with a clean cloth, and then let them sit for about 10 minutes. Lacquer thinner evaporates VERY quickly and leaves no residue. Strings sound great, and don't die off as quickly as boiling. I'll never boil again.
    So far I have not had a problem with the lacquer thinner hurting anything. It didn't remove any winding coloring or anything of that sort. Just do this outdoors as the fumes are serious! And ... don't get any of that stuff on anything that you care about as it will eat through most paints and finishes.
    You might want to use gloves too, as this stuff is rough on skin..