Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by etherbass, Sep 5, 2004.

1. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey there i was wondering if anyone can give me and answer on string tone... if i were to try several sets of stainless steel strings from different companies, same gauge, same bass, would there be a considerable difference in tone? i use rotosounds right now but i am interested in d'addario and other stuff like that...thanks
    ryan

2. In my experience there are subtle differences, but I find these differences most noticeable after about a week of playing. After the strings die, who cares, they all sound terrible IMO. :)

I love the Elixir sound. My next fav is the D'addario. Then maybe DRs, but I had a bad experience (strings die in 2-3 days) with them so I don't buy them anymore.

Interesting (hopefully) tangent below:

It seems like most of the difference in sound is the pickup type. A lot of people talk about the kind of wood on a bass, but I'm not really a believer in that. Why? Because someone built a plexiglass bass and then a metal bass and they both sounded like basses made out of wood. I think the only thing wood types affect with the sound is sustain.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think there is a big difference in tone between strings. The thing is your going from SS with the Roto's to nickels. Try some different one and see what you like. I like DR Lowriders and highbeems SS, I am not a nickel guy at all so I don't use D addarios.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think how much difference you hear is dependant on your tone and you rig. I play relativly bright through Acme cabs and the difference in strings can be huge.

If I'm using my Eden cabs it doesn't really matter cause all you hear is E-D-E-N no matter what else is going on.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> I'm not sure about that, I play Edens too, & all my
    basses sound like themselves thru my rig. If I change
    from rounds to flats or stainless to nickels, the difference
    is quite apparent. I've found the Eden sound to be
    clean, clear and true..

Slug

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree. IMO all of the brands of strings I've used have sounded good. And as already posted, once they get a few weeks of play, they all sound pretty similar. If you stay with the same gauge, changing from one brand of stainless strings to another brand probably won't make a huge difference in your tone IMO.

For me, the biggest change in tone came when I changed from stainless steel rounds to nickel rounds.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    True.... I play Edens so +1

8. Stumpy6653

Stumpy6653

Sep 12, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Is there that big of a difference between nickels and ss? Since getting my Eden Metro I have only been using nickles.

If there is that big of a difference, what is it? How do they sound different?

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    SS cut or bite a little more in the mids and highs, great for gigging. They still retain the solid lows like the nickels. I like them because they sound just like nickels in my opinion but just maybe a little more defined in the mix.