String + touching PUPS = POP!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Aug 1, 2005.

1. The sound that is so dreadful... when you strings touch your pickups. I used to have this problem when I played a Fender Strat... and I experienced this with a EB Music Man last week..

Are there any pups that don't make this awful noise? Active, passive, etc... what about using a piezo based system -- for example, the Ibanez EDA basses that Musicians Foe is blowing out right now.

I get a lil carried away from time to time & my right hand pushes the strings down too far.. and I don't want to ever "HEAR" the strings touch a pickup again.

Any help?
  2. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Lowering pups.
    Raising strings.
    Or else alter your technique and don't do that. :confused:
  3. That is what I thought... what is the difference/pupose of some pickups having exposed coils? For example - on my stratocaster - the coils are exposed, just like on a Fender J or P. But, on a Warwick - the coils are not exposed. Why?
  4. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Covers, for a clean look.Some are epoxied in place .
  5. Rav

Rav Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL

Cover the exposed coil magnets so the strings can't touch them. If no one makes covers for your pickups use anything non metalic to cover them over. Even paint or tape would work. Anything that is magnetically inert that prevents metal on metal contact of string to pole.

6. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    +1 - two layers of transparent tape do it for me on DM J's.
  7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Although personal taste counts when setting your pickups' height, most manufacturers recommend certain measurements that are almost the same for most basses. Assuming that you know how to perform basic setup tasks, I'd suggest you the following procedure:

- First and foremost: Get a 6" stainless steel ruler.

- After making sure your bass' neck has an adequate amount of relief, set your strings to follow the fingerboard radius. For me, I adjust the bridge saddles until I get a measure of 3/32 of an inch from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string (all of them). Use the ruler for checking.

-Set your pickups' height. I adjust the neck pickup to 5/32 of an inch from the top of the polepiece to the bottom of the string (bass and treble sides) and 4/32 (1/8) of an inch for the bridge pickup. Maybe your pickups are closer to the strings than this.

-Lower your G string (or C and G if it's a 6-string) just a little bit. I have no specific measurements for that. Again, prior to this all the strings should be perfectly following the fingerboard radius.

Hope this helps.