1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Tree bar type replacement.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BAG, Jul 11, 2017.

1. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Does anyone know where i can get a bar type string tree that would fit a Jazz sized 38mm neck width? Obviously the screws would need to fit between the E-A and the D-G string spaces. Similar to this one below but for 4 string basses.

Thanks in advance......

warwire7.jpg

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Fender's last trick seems clever and won't leave permanent holes.
    dscn0007-copy-copy-jpg.jpg

If you insist on a regular retainer, they're everywhere really.

3. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I've seen those before, and they're sort of OK, but i would like a consistent break angle over the nut for all the strings. Due to the Franken basses i play I'm more concerned about function over form. I can find plenty of them well over 38mm for guitar but haven't been able to find any 38mm ones.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I installed bars several times but I have to say I never measured them, just took what was available on eBay.
    Guitar ones are usually 42mm and fit fine.

Then you have Hipshot retainers, super clean.
    Retainer_4str_chrome_1500__39351.1400945820.560.560.jpg

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  6. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    That's what i'm talking about! Thanks Kathy.

sissy kathy likes this.
  7. I think the last 2 or 3 I needed I made out of 1/4" or 3/16" bar and the drill press. I probably made 5 or 6 but 2 or 3 had the holes lined up and straight through the round stock. That's the tricky bit when drilling through round stock.:rolleyes::meh:

mech likes this.
  8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I have seen a picture of one similar to the one @Jazz Ad posted, but the screws went in the gaps where the strings top load; an absolutely GREAT design. I've never been able to find one though.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020