1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String tree for A string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by byacey, Sep 11, 2017.

1. I have a Hondo P copy that was given to me, and I've really developed a liking for this bass; I've installed Wilde P46 PUps and made a brass nut for it as the original plastic one was worn too low in the slots.

One issue I'm having is the open A string is dead due to not enough pull-down pressure to seat it firmly in the bottom of the nut slot. I've wound the string as low on the tuner post as possible, but it's still not quite right. If I press down lightly on the string silk at the tuner post, it sounds clear and strong. Has anyone ever had to add a string tree on the A to alleviate this issue?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Many have.

3. What did they do....just install a round bass string tree on the A-string by itself?

4. I've seen that done. You can also use one of these.
    imageuploadedbytapatalk1403447460-599334-jpg.jpg

Linnin and HeavyDuty like this.
  5. Where did you get that? I haven't seen those while perusing parts sites yet..

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. Just a picture I got from google. Not sure since I'm in Japan and it automatically directs me to the Japanese website, but I think you have to order it directly from Fender.

ZenG likes this.
  7. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    IMG_1962.JPG STEALTH BASS STRING RETAINER
    Model #: 0078972049
    Found it at shop.fender.com

I had to get one for my A string on my American Design Experience P Bass. Had really weird overtones when the A was played open.

ZenG and Linnin like this.
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    ZenG likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020