1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String tree on a tele style headstock

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bluesfordan, Mar 14, 2018.

1. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2009
    N.H.
    eventually winter will end, probably by Father's day weekend and I'll get my workshop up and running. I need to finish my tele headstock style neck and I don't have a string tree on it. Do they need one and where do I put it? As in x inches from nut and y inches from edge?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You don't need xy coordinates. Just somewhere around the D A string tuner, and let the strings dictate the lateral point.​

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Warhawk likes this.
  3. It's around 3 7/16" from the nut on my Fender and G&L. Laterally just do what sissy kathy said...center it over the two strings.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The second half has been covered. As for if you need one, try without first and see what happens.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Ummm, A string you mean?

The early P basses had them right where the first curve on the bottom of the head begins. Between the A and E tuners. Google 195x precision bass pics.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Well, if ya wanna get all correct and everything yes, I do mean the A string. I've been mixing up the A and D for almost fifty years. Why stop now?

Pilgrim and 96tbird like this.
  7. bluesfordan

Sep 3, 2009
    N.H.
    I looked at pictures and it appears Fender put whomever showed up drunk for work that day on the headstock string tree detail. ALL OVER the place.

middy and 96tbird like this.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Pretty sure it went on after the logo and could be put anywhere as long as it didnt cover yhe logo.

9. bluesfordan

Sep 3, 2009
    N.H.
    ooo, the logo. I completely forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me

10. NigelD

NigelD Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Here's examples- 20180126_180601.jpg 20180127_021712.jpg

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Remember, when you do it the second time it becomes a tradition and you are obligated to continue doing it. :) (I learned that at Texas A&M, where it seems to be an inflexible rule.)

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020