1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string tree? string retainer? (picture inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sickest beast, Apr 3, 2009.

1. 487520872_09eb1d51f0.

See the piece of metal holding the strings down just after the nut? What is this called? I tried searching string retainers, string trees and string ferrules and I couldn't find these online anywhere.

I play pretty hard on my 4-string Jazz and was thinking that my bass might really benefit from one of these. Do they make them for 4-strings?

PS: Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum.

2. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    This is actually a Floyd Rose Bridge string retainer made for 6-string guitars. It can be found under the Floyd Rose Bridge parts section at almost any guitar parts resource. If you use it for bass, I highly recommend a trip to the hardware store and some #4, 1" screws to replace the ones that come with the bar. The 4X1's are longer and this will prevent them from being pulled out of the holes by string tension. Cheers!

4. has anyone else ever put one of these on a 4-string bass?

5. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Yeah, I did. Two of 'em. Works real well. Had to use longer screws. Is this thing on? :confused:

6. Standard issue on Sadowski basses.

7. I hear ya. Glad to hear it works.

I use standard gauge strings (.045 - .105), my string spacing is just fine, and my nut is still in great condition. Every once in a while I'll really give'er and my E string will pop out of its groove. It happens maybe once per jam session (we play 3-4 hours, 5 days a week). So it's not too bad, but I would like to eliminate the problem completely.

I also think it will look kinda cool. :)

Uhh... OH YEAH,

What do you guys think about a Brass or Graphite nut? What kinda difference would I get from say the standard Fender MIA Jazz bass nut?

8. Only on the 5-string models though.

9. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I put one on a bass (since sold) to increase tension on the nut. I was told by a pseudo-luthier that a properly designed and set up bass doesnt need one, and that its use indicates a design flaw. :eyebrow:

I dont buy it.

Curious as to thoughts on this?

10. the Fender bass guitar headstock would be considered a design flaw then since it's perfectly straight and certain strings need to be held down by something for proper nut tension.

even if that is a so called "design flaw" it can be easily remedied by a string tree, problem solved.

11. rb1

rb1

Sep 15, 2008
    Iowa
    So, his definition of "a properly designed bass" includes a back-angled head. Here's an article on neck construction at stewmac that supports that idea: http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-5200/index.html.

Of course, if your friend is just a "pseudo-luthier", what does he know, anyway?

12. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I actually like a straight non-stressed headstock with a string tree than an a more fragile angled one.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
  14. These 6-string guitar string retainers, will they be the same size as the one in the picture on the 5-string bass? You said you had one on a 4-string bass and it fit just fine?

15. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Yup.

When you've removed the old disk ('cause you don't need it anymore) take a round toothpick, stick it in the hole, mark the depth of the hole with a pencil on the toothpick, use scissors or wire cutters to cut to depth, put a dab of wood glue on the toothpick, press into hole, wipe excess glue, let dry, brush a thin layer of clear nail polish over plug. Invisible, from 3' away, unless you know what to look for.

Attached Files:

16. So in what ways is an angled headstock more fragile than straight headstock :eyebrow: :confused:

17. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I'm talking out of my a** here, but I think it has to do with the scarf joint required. A joint is always weaker than a straight grain of wood, which is always weaker than two grains of wood running perpendicular (laminate).

Also, Fender style necks hardly ever have the headstock break off, but Gibson style necks do frequently.

18. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If your open strings are rattling around in the nut, you need one. Otherwise you don't. If you make the break angle too high it'll make the strings feel stiff at the first fret and throw off the intonation. Proceed with caution.

19. Okay let me explain...

I've been out of a job for just over a month now, so I can't afford new strings. I either buy new strings, or eat for the day. So I had been going through all my old strings and cleaning them by boiling them in distilled water with a bit of vinegar, made them sound almost new again.

Anyways... I must have accidentally put a slightly bigger E on a week ago because I had never EVER had this problem. Last night I put my regular guage back on and am not having any problem.

20. People break entire headstocks :eek: they must be receiving pretty bad treatment in the first place to have that happen :D