String Tunings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Hey...

I am just curious as to what all the stringed instruments are tuned to.

So far,I got:

Bass: EADG
    Banjo:ADGC(I think thats it:confused: )
    ...and thats pretty much it.

2. You are talking just standard tuning right? Cuz there is like a million tunings out there.
  3. Yeah dude...heh,you're right. I didn't wanna go into all that,just the normal one's.
  4. Just checking :) Didn't want you getting millions of tunings if you didnt want em!
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Seriously, how many tunings are there for a 6 string guitar? I mean, there has to be a mathematical equation that would tell you exactly how many tunings were possible, right?
  6. Haha, but would you really tune a guitar BbBAAF?
  7. jenderfazz, i sure hope you mean BBBAAF, because if you mean B(flat)BAAF, then your missing a string for a guitar :):) Unless you meant this to be a 5 string bass ;)
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    With all the possible gradations of tensions, I think you're looking at a MASSIVE number. Would the human ear be able to tell the difference between the super subtle tunings? Maybe, maybe not, but the mathmatics of possible tunings are nigh but infinite, I'd imagine. Look at it this way, imagine gettin a precision tuner, and tuning every string 20 cents (I believe that's the musical accuracy thing) below E. Then 15, then 10. It might SOUND like E, but it wouldn't be. Theoretically.

If you went with just half steps, then you still have a lot of room, because while G# below B on a .130 string might not be playable on a "standard bass" if you got the action high enough, you could theoretically play it.

Are they infitite? Maybe not, but that number is also rather hard to come up with, given all the variables (some of which I mentioned).
  9. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    To give you an idea of the number of possible tunings for a 6-string guitar, the Hipshot Trilogy bridge (of which they should really make a bass version) can do 729 tunings with the flicks of some levers. Each string is set to 3 preset tunings, so, for instance, you can drop the E to D and C, if you so configure it. Assuming you're using the same set of strings for all tunings, and you have some definition of what is an audible/acceptable note, I would say it would be several times that of the Trilogy.

To be more on topic,
    cello - CGDA