Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String-types differences?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jammadave, Oct 17, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Okay, so I'm aware there are many types of bass strings, but all my life I've only used rounds.

My experience with other types is limited, but I remember getting this fantastic tone in a shop once on a Mustang bass with tape-wound strings. So I'm getting tapewounds on my Wishnevsky just to fiddle around with them.

I kinda want to change off the rounds, but don't know what type of strings I should choose, for my Schecter, based on sound - I want it to have a lot of presence but not so much attack and buzz. Some of that is my technique, sure, but what would flats or semirounds produce? I was playing something with flats at the same shop the other day and I'll have to go back to remind myself if i liked the sound or not.

Bottom line: what are the tonal differences between all the strings out there??
    ;)

2. GOOD INFO.............. POST IT HERE!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Damn, nice find man...

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I didn't find it, I wrote it! :p

5. It says written by Flatwound......at the top of my post!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Treena, O Queen of Smilies, may I ask a question? How does one make those custom smilies? I see them here and there, but I don't know how it's done. :bassist:

7. You go to the smile generator and it will walk you through with a tutorial on how to make smilies!

http://www.smiliegenerator.com/smiliegenerator_eng.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The Mods should put this out there at the top of the board. This would cover about 25% of the questions asked, great work Flatwound!