1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String types

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by monroe55, Apr 3, 2009.

1. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    What is the difference between RoundWounds, Steelwounds, Nickelwounds, SlowWounds?? I need new strings but dont want to throw 25bux away without knowing what these diferrent string types sound/play like. :help:

2. Flats are my fave!
    Check out D'Addario's site- they have pretty much every type of string and they are awesome IMO!
    Peace
    :bassist:

3. Stainless rounds = really bright
    Nickel rounds = bright
    Half-rounds = not so bright
    Flats = not bright

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    There was a string comparison article in Bass Player Magazine several years ago. You might want to check their website and see if it's posted, maybe in the archives. I will say that I didn't agree with their assessment of several sets they tested.

I've converted completly to flats and there's many different brands of flats out there. In order to find out which worked best for me I had to bite the bullet and purchase several different sets over the years. Actually, I think I've tried every type/brand currently available (DRs were the most recent). I found I like 4 brands, Labella, Fender, D' Addario, and Pyramid in no particular order.

When I used rounds I also tried many sets but not all of them since I switched to flats. Of those I tried I found I only really liked one brand, GHS Boomers.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

We do have a Strings forum. Moved.

6. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
  7. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
  8. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Thanks guys. All that info helped. Appreciate it.
    Sorry for posting in the wrong forum too. Still finding my way around here.