1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

string unbalance

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by maturanesa, Oct 31, 2010.

1. my G and D strings are tighter than E and A, and creates a volume/output/tone balance. No matter if i adjust the pickups, always g and d needs a harder touch to balance with E and A.

how can i fix that?
    thanx

2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    This sounds familiar ... :D

3. the `treble' side of the neck is tighter tension,i know from waddling around with low-powered combo/practice amps you can sometimes `kill' sections of each string by `EQ'ing the wee amps to quell`finger noise' especially the D and G,,,once you have some`headroom' then you want to `open it up' and hear it all and modify your technique to take advantage of,,?,,`that':D

take a look at`balanced tension string sets'(you can do a search in `strings' it's ok;)) i'm a flatwound person so i just go with the flow,have fun and enjoy it:D:bassist:

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Almost all string sets have the higher strings tighter than the low strings, and / or the central strings tighter than the outer strings. It's a bad tradition that almost all string companies have not yet broken.

D'Addario print the tension of each string on their sets. You can see how extremely unbalanced the tensions are for this standard set:

XLB045 G 0.045 42.8 pounds of tension
    XLB065 D 0.065 51.3
    XLB080 A 0.080 42.0
    XLB100 E 0.100 36.5

There are many advantages to having the strings at equal tension: tone, technique, volume and the stresses on the neck are all balanced.

Circle K Strings sell tension balanced sets.

Or you can build your own set from single strings. To build a tension balanced set use these gauges:
    105 80 60 45
    100 75 55 40
    95 70 50 35

I recommend downloading the D'Addario tension chart pdf, you can then design sets with equal tension.

5. /thread

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Well, not exactly. Balanced tension is one of the selling points of Thomastic-Infield strings as well, and has been since I was first aware of their electric bass and guitar strings around 2000.

John

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +1. T-I's are very well balanced tension-wise (and otherwise, too!)

8. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Apologies ... I looked at the tensions on the T.I. site, the Acoustic Bass strings are very balanced, and the Jazz E-Bass 6 string set has only 7 lbs of variation. Powerbass and Infeld Bass sets are as unbalanced as traditional sets.