1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Virgin :(

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chico16, May 21, 2012.

1. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Well my friends, it is time to switch strings. However, I don't know much about them! I have a new Ibanez SR605 bass that came with Elixir roundwound strings. They're new so they're not worn out, I simply did not like them. For starters, the bass was excessively clanky and had a lot of fret buzz when I took it out of the box. I took it to a local music store and the guy set it up for me. Said that this problem is common when guitars are ordered online since altitude and weather changes tend to mess up the bass set up during delivery. The bass still has a little bit of clank though. Luckily, you can't hear the clank through my cab, but I would hear some crackling noise every now and then while playing but it would come and go so I wasn't really sure. We recorded a few days ago and when the studio tech played my parts back for me I was convinced that it crackles as well. The guy from the shop told me the bass will still have a bit of clank because the strings are rounds. I have Ernie Ball rounds on my old bass but the clank is hardly even noticeable. I've been advised to try GHS Pressurewounds since apparently they are the best from the round/flat worlds. My question is, has anybody used pressurewounds before that can give me some feedback? Or better yet, any other ways I can reduce the clank and crackle from my bass? I hope you guys can help me out. The only answer I get from my bandmates is "sell the damn Ibanez and get yourself a Fender!" Lol

2. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Totally forgot sorry: my band plays reggae/rock/ska and my style of play is influenced by more Latin music like cumbia and bachatas. I love the bass sounds from bachata music, but I'm mainly influenced by the Mexican Latin Rock band MANA

3. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I didn't like GHS Pressurewounds, just not to my taste. You might like flat or tapewounds to eliminate clank

4. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd say a clanky sound isn't a string problem. Chances are the guy probably did a good-ish setup job, but chances are still that it could use more tweaking.

I think that Ibanez are great basses, especially for their price. I don't play em' anymore but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that getting a Fender would be a better idea...

I would suggest getting flatwound strings. For finding a 5 string set, you will likely have to order them online somewhere.

http://www.juststrings.com/ghselectricbassguitarpressurewound.html here's those pressurewounds

http://www.juststrings.com/bassflatwound.html a variety of flats

5. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    There are so many choices out there...so giving you a string recommendation is very difficult...but i will give my 2 cents worth.
    Buy nickel, not as bright and clanky...
    But what you are explaining in a recording session is your technique and possibly set up...IME ...i have many recordings of me live that sound decent...but the first time i stepped into a recording session...i was brutal...clank, noise, finger tension...after that I lowered my string height, but the biggest factor was to really lighten up my touch with my left hand, you should be appling just enough pressure to fret.. right hand technique is just as important. hope this helps...i dont know your full situatioin, but this really helped me! I went back into recording a year later and the engineer was blown away with my technique and playing abiltiy...oh ...and a great teacher really helped me out!!

6. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Honestly I'm digging Ibanez completely. The only problem I've had with this bass is the clank issue. Other than that It's really comfortable, nice sound, and the skim neck make it super easy to move around. I've read that pressurewounds are good because they sound like flats but they're not dull like most flats are and also that they are very similar to rounds just without the zinginess. Would you guys say I've been misinformed?

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1 on the nickel. I have roto 66 nickels on one of my basses ('budget' harley benton PJ ($100)) sounds richer and fuller than the stainless steel 66's. IMO they get better once the new string sparkle leaves. If your elixers are coated they may stay bright for ages:eek: I wouldn't want that.

Also +1 on the recording thing... I've yet to do a session in a studio but from comparing my tone through a speaker vs. my Direct tone.... finger noise and setup become strange animals. There's a reason for 'live basses' and 'studio basses' IMO!

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Pressure Wounds are a great string. They do eliminate a lot of fret noise but they still maintain the majority of the round wound tone. Here's a video to demonstrate the tone:

The owner is a tb member and has got the best prices, service, and shipping time that I've ever seen/experienced. I've bought from several online vendor's and while I haven't had a bad experience with any of them, they just can't compare to bassstringsonline.com. You also get reward points that will save you cash on strings in the future.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I use GHS Pressure Wounds on my Jazz Bass and the are by far the best I've ever used on that style bass. Mellower than a round but with very good definition and like a round I can get full tonal expression from the bass but without some of the finger noise you'd associate with rounds. Tension is very even across the board so they're a very easy playing string as well.

Sounds like the clank is more of a setup problem than a string problem depending on how bad it it. I play with a very low action I get a little too but nothing beyond acceptable. Some of it is just imprecise fretting that tends to happen when I get a little sloppy. Try rechecking your setup. Usually you can tweak it out.

The crackling you describe could be an issue with static. As dry as it is out west that's a common problem so you might investigate that.

10. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I use Status groundwound strings (the same thing as pressurewounds) - phenomenal tone out of them and no clang.

11. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    So far I take it that pressurewounds are mellower than round wounds but, how about their brightness? I wouldn't want the high notes to lose their impact :/