String Width on a Heavily Detuned Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ba55i5t, Mar 4, 2010.

1. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Hey all,

I'm in a technical metal band, play a 6 string, and use a tuning of EAEADG. The lowest (thickest) string being the E, a whole octave lower than E standard. I'm using a 6 string standard set of D'Addario ProSteels (145 on the E) and the E and A are too floppy. Which width should I go with?

Also, I do a lot of tapping in this band and would like to have thick strings and low action with min fret buzz.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Look on juststrings.com, for bigger sets. I think you can go as far as a .165, but may then need to file your nut a little. ouch.

3. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    I think you need to contact a string maker and have them make some custom .250 string or something. Probably an easier job than finding that elusive cab that can do 21 Hz.

4. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Why do you need such a low e?

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    If you have a standard scale length I would suggest the strings I make - .180 to .200 will do for you what you want.

The cab will be tough, but if you can find one that does 40 hz or close to it it's all that is necessary. The FeaRB 15 2/3 way DIY cab is perfect for this.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021