Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String winding around the tuning post

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JohnBarr, Oct 5, 2004.

1. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    I have a Washburn AB20. I put TI Acousticoure strings on it. The E string is winding right up to and just about a quarter turn around the binding post. The strings are still new and still require some daily adjusting, so it may wind up more.

My last set of D'Addarios came up to, but did not wrap around the post. Same with the G.

I bent the string before cutting it and left plenty of silk "leader" to wind up. Enough for 5 good turns around the peg, so it's about to wind a double coil.

My experience so far is that when the string starts to wind around the post it's harder to keep in tune. But last week the E string popped and sprung the outer winding. TI gave me the benefit of the doubt and replaced the string pronto (great guys to work with). Maybe it was the string. But now I'm being cautious.

The Wasburn binding posts are not any closer to the nut than any other guitars. Near as I can tell, some are much closer. In fact, the metal wrap was very close to the peg when I first started winding it up. Similar to the picture in the FAQ at the top of this forum.--maybe I shouldn't worry?

I should stress that the E string is just beginning to wrap around the peg. It's not a complete loop or even half a turn. Yet.

So my question is: Do others have this situation? Is it OK that the string is winding around the post? Is the string at risk of breaking?

Thanks all,

John

2. The more the string wraps around and is in contact with the post, the more friction there is to counteract the tension of the string. I wrap a minimum of 2-3 turns. Not enough contact and the string will slip as you have described.

There is no way that "going out of tune" is affected by having to much string wrapped around. I've heard guitar players say that before, but in reality once there is enough friction of the string contacting the post to counteract the tension, the stings are not going anywhere. Although with thin guitar strings, there could be additional side to side movement with time. I have not experienced that with bass strings. I personaly would not want to start a double wrap around the coil. This might introduce movement of the top wrap on the bottom wrap, and create problems. Maybe this is what you might mean by saying it goes out of tune with to much wrap? The only other reason for going out of tune fast is problems with the neck stability or poor tuners.

3. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Thanks.
    In this case I may shift blame to the tuners (not the best).

I always have at least 3 turns around the post.

Maybe I'm just overreacting to the E-string pop (scared the heck out of me at the time, jumped out at me like a snake :meh:
    Once bitten, twice shy.

Scouting out some close-up pix, it seems it may not be unusual to have metal part of the the E string coil around the post.

John

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Many strings, such as Fender, do not have silk on the tops. No problem with the metal part coiling around the post.

I agree that double coiling counld cause problems though.....