Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string winding lengths

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hiphopbassist, Jun 19, 2002.

1. here's the question. thinking about dr strings for my 4 string fodera w./34" scale. the winding lengths on the dr's are 37.75". i'm pretty sure this is gonna cause the body of the string to wrap around the tuning peg. i understand this is not a good idea since the string could break or the added tension on the tuning peg could cause problems.

i'm looking for people's opinion on this that have faced the same situation. is it ok to do this or not. also, does anyone know why just one winding length? i know d'adarrio makes different lengths so that the strings fit as they should.

thanks in advance for the help.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have had several sets of strings on various basses that the string wrapped onto the peg past the winding. It has never been a problem.

Chas

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Me too

4. I find that the note wont keep a steady tone if you play an open string (on my fender is overlaps and when you play an open E it isn't steady (I hooked up my tuner to double check it and I was right). However it's not noticible unless you really really try to hear it.
    That is only my experiece

5. thanks for the opinions. i'm gonna pass on dr, labella, and any other maker that makes just one length: extra long. there's enough good strings out there in the correct lengths to choose from. don't know why they do it, but hey, it's there business. they just don't get mine.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I understand your point. The other side is that for players who use 35" scale instruments, strings from these companies are a pleasure. I like D'Addario but they don't offer extra long strings in 6 string sets. The DR's fit fine. And Elixir offers extra long 6's, too. It all boils down to what you need and who's got it! :)