string winding ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jun 30, 2001.

1. 1 to 2 times

2 vote(s)
  2. 2 to 3 times

24 vote(s)
  3. 3 to 4 times

23 vote(s)
  4. 4 to 5 times

10 vote(s)
  5. 5 to 6 times

2 vote(s)
  6. 6 to 7 times

0 vote(s)
  7. 7 to 8 times

3 vote(s)
  1. I got a EDC705 yesterday..
    I noticed how crappy the factory-strings were installed on this beautyful bass. :(
    the strings were wound around the tuning-post only 1 or 2 times (!), which causes the bass to get out of tune constantly. ( see photo in attachment )

which makes me wonder

How many times do you normally wind the strings round the tuning-post ?
  2. I usually wind it 3 or 4 times, but I don't think you need that many.
  3. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    2 or 3 has always seemed fine to me.
  4. I used to just keep winding them until they didn't need wound no more. But that was when I used EB's. Recently I got some DR Steel Lo-Riders, and the E string kept popping out of the nut because it wrapped too much. So I just cut the strings a few inches and now they all are wrapped either 3 or 4 times around the pegs. It works great.
  5. My EDC700 still has the stock factory strings on it and is(like your Ibanez)only wound 2x around the tuning posts.Never had a problem with her going out of tune though! In fact she stays in tune much better than my P(which has 2-3x windings).
  6. Got new strings on it now..

3 to 4 windings, sounds great :)
  7. i'd like to see the bass with 7 or 8 windings per post

they's have to be about an inch tall
  8. I have 5 windings on mine. As I have a light bass the increased angle (string vs nut) gives me more punch.
  9. berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    Depends on the string. Lighter strings should be wrapped more times. I wrap the B and E twice, the A thrice, the D 4 times, and the G 5 times. A guitar tech gave me that info and it keeps in tune on all my basses that way.
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Fundamentally, it's not really a big issue. The only concern is, is the string wrapped around enough times to make sure it doesn't come out of the tuning pegs? None of my basses have the strings wrapped around more than twice, and I rarely go out of tune.

One thing that I have found helps is to push the string as far down into the hole in the middle of the tuner as you can. Make sure you feel it touch bottom. That will help anchor the string better IME.
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I anchor my strings in the bottom of the tuner hole, bend them at a 90 degree angle angle and wind from the top to flush with the base of the peg. IMO downward pressure is good.

Once I've figured this length I use the old string's length to measure the new string when restringing. I change one string at a time.
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You reminded me of a point that I forgot and that I haven't seen mentioned here. Namely, that the answer to the original question can be affected by *whether you have an angled headstock or not*. With an angled headstock, a total of 1.5 to 2 turns almost always gives you enough downward pressure in my experience, and it almost always holds the string securely enough if you do it right. If you're using a flat fender-style headstock, though, you may need more turns to get adequate downward pressure on the nut, at least on the strings that aren't held down by string trees.
  13. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky 4string (45-105) and I wrap the strings 3-4 times. I dont cut my strings but i can only get my g-string wrapped around the post twice and the rest get more and more until the e-string with 4 winds. Any way to make the G string wrap more?

by the by, what do IMO and IME mean? I keep seeing people write those things and have no idea what they mean by that.
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IMO=in my opinion
    IMHO=in my humble opinion
    IME=in my experience
    AFAIK=as far as I know
    BTW=by the way
  15. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I have a bass with a tilt back headstock, but I always wind the strings down as far as they will go without the top falling off the peg. I thought more downforce was a good thing, keeps the E from buzzing... Are there any bad affects (effects) caused by winding the string down too much?
  16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I run the string through the bridge, pinch it at the nut and slide that point down to the second fret. I then cut the string at the tuner.

Simple - no muss, no fuss. I've never had a problem with a slipped string.

17. Yep, pretty much the method I use. I guess the only thing I do different is run the string round the post in the opposite direction and then back through the channel to allow it to wind in the correct direction - from above this would show the first wind as a figure of 8. Usually between 2 and 4 windings. Winding it back through the peg makes real sure that it doesn't slip!

The only things I've ever had trouble with was not winding far enough down the peg, the break angle was all wrong and I got a lot of fret buzz - an expensive mistake never repeated!!
  18. on a 34" bass there's a trick i use..

put your string on the saddle and the nut.. run the string past the tuner and pull the string tight. next.. grab the string at the nut, and pull it back to the 2nd fret. then cut the string at the tuner. 3 perfect windings and the string is in tune :)

for the D and G, it's the 3rd fret :)

i've been using this trick for a while now, and it works perfect for me :)
  19. 3 to 5 winds for me. No real reason other then it is what I have always done and never had any problems related to it.
  20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's the same system that I use! :D