String wrapping below nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by r05c03, Jan 1, 2006.

1. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN

I tried getting an answer to this question via the string forum and by searching and I have not found an adequate answer. At any rate, strung my Ibanez Artcore (Semi-hollow body) with Rotosound 88LD (Black Nylon Tapewounds). The strings are wrapped with a yellow silk at both ends. The wrapping is nearly a 1/4 inch below the nut on the G string and rests in the not slots of the E and D strings. Only on the A string does wrapping actually clear the nut. I would like to correct this if possible. I have not ever had this problem before and I not sure if it is a problem, but it seems that it might be deleterious. Thanks for your suggestions.
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't know how it would work on tapewound - probably would cause the tape to come off - but with other strings you can carefully take an Xacto knife and cut the silk back. I've done it before. It works but you have to be careful. I really doubt if it would work on tapewounds though. The silk is probably holding the tape on.

The real question is, how does it sound? If it sounds ok I would just leave it.
  3. grumpyjfc

grumpyjfc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Those strings should come in different lengths, try a longer one??
  4. Just use a lighter and very briefly stroke it under the silk. That should be enough to burn it off without messing with the tape.
  5. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    hey Show and Ham, thanks for the advice, using a combo of your techs I fixed the problem. It does not sound any different, but it looks better, and that makes me happy.
  6. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Your using the wrong length of string. It's probably because your bass has the strings through the body. If it is, I have found the answer is DR High Beams. They are long enough to do the job, and don't have silk. It is not needed. I have a string through, and had the same problem. DR'd did the trick, and I like them better than any string I have used. Good Luck!