1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String zing!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Precision101, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    How many guys out there like fresh zingy strings besides me? I'm a player of all strings and styles of bass playing but my favorites are the fresh brand new strings.

2. I quite like it, but my wallet says otherwise...

3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I like them after a few hours of playing, so not completely, positively, absolutely brand new. Once they start to sound 'dull' I replace them. That's after 100 to 200 hours of playing. My wallet agrees with that. :D

4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Count me in.

Fresh rounds, nothing like it. :)

5. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

Piano tone for the world.👍

6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The brightest, clangiest, longest lasting strings I've used are Dean Markley SR2000's. (And I didn't like Blue Steels.)

I usually buy two sets. When one gets too dull, I put on the new set, then boil and store the old ones in alcohol. Next time, the first set goes back on and I boil and store the second set.

They will last me two years easily.

Dan Torres once said, "There are three ways to make an amp sound better. Make it louder. Make it brighter. Make it louder and brighter."

May my ears are like Dan's. Maybe it takes loud and bright for me to be able to hear it. (Kidding...my hearing is great.)

When I first heard fresh roundwound Rotosounds on a P bass through an SVT, I was spoiled. Since the early 70's that was my starting point for bass tone. Thanks to Rick Clark from the Tongue Band from WI.

7. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I enjoy a fresh, zingy set of strings on many an occasion. I have my EQ setting on my basses dialed in with that, so it works for me. I find the brighter tone lets me play at lower volumes and hear myself very clearly, making soundpeople very happy.