Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string #?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xxajr8xx, Sep 13, 2005.

1. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    i was wondering whats the most amount of strings youve seen on a singal bass neck???
    plz post pics.

2. You might as well ask how many clouds are in the sky at any given point during an overcast day.

As soon as you mention a number, someone will read it, and think "Hey, I can beat that."

Then the whole precess starts anew.

~Ryan

3. There's a 12 that's not doubled lurking on here somewhere

4. The Hideous Claw, anyone?

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'm not sure if this website is owned by another TalkBasser, so please excuse me if I'm hijacking this link to see some 15 and 18 string basses. I haven't seen a bass with more strings than these.

6. man, i can't imagine changing strings...or the freakin cost of a set! :eek:

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    18 doubled, 12 non doubled.

8. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    The bass or guitar with the largest range is the Adler 12-string. It has 92 notes and spans 71/2 octaves.It has C0,or C#0(17hz) up to the entire octave 6 and half of octave 7 , to G7 or Ab 7 , depending on the tuning.

The average cost of a set of strings is less than $15.00

9. Just TUNING the damn thing would be an all day process! :rollno:

10. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
  11. 18 trippled you mean? ;)

Depends on where you draw the line between "Bass" and "____" whatever you want to call it. The Adler has 12 strings. Warr guitars go up to 14. And I've seen a 17 and 18 string, with single course strings. :eek:

12. You asked for it... :D

17 String Bear Instrument

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then there's the 18 string Bear...instrument :p

[​IMG]

And of course, the 12-string Adler:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Keeping things in perspective,the Warr,The Stick do not have 12 or 14 strings starting on a C0 ,tuned in consecutive 4ths .They are really 6 or 7 strings,then a second set of 6 or 7 strings starts over sharing the same fretboard.
    Also,those instruments don't have a .195 C0 string, and they do not have an Ab4 (415.30 Hz) string. The Adler 12 is tuned C0 F0 Bb0 Eb1 Ab1 Db2 F#2 B3 E3 A3 D4 G4,up to G7 at the 36th fret,
    or a half step higher C#0 - Ab4, Ab7 at the 36th fret.

17,or 18 single course? Has to be two 9 strings on one neck. There are no strings existing that can cover 18 strings in a row,tuned in intervalic sequence such as consecuative 4ths,spaning 7-9 octaves.
    I have the only G4 and Ab strings for the 32" scale only because I had them developed and custom made.Making the wire was no picnic! Consider the fact that string companies can't wind a ball end on these strings because they are to thin.Adler patented a clamping bridge to solve this problem. If anyone else has these strings, they have been keeping them a secret.

The Adler 12-string goes lower in pitch that a bass guitar, and higher in pitch than a guitar. Since it has 5 octaves in bass cleff,and 2 1/2 octaves in treble cleff and is a 34"/32" scale, I call it a bass guitar.

The other instruments repeat sets of 6 or 7,8,9 strings.That's having two instruments sharing the same neck.Most likely none of the strings on those instruments are tuned higer than E4 or F4 . With all those strings, they still don't have any notes in octave 7.