stringadvice to a newbe

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by trocadero, Aug 17, 2005.

1. trocadero

Jun 12, 2005
    Gamleby, Sweden
    I got hold of a bass that basicly had been laying around in a basement for 20 years. I took it to a luthier who fixed a couple of things up.

If anyone is interested, its this bass:

My bass now has Thomastic Precision on G, D and A and Thomastic Dominant for an E-string.
    I've had them on for about a month and the G, D and A sounds very metallic still after being played for a while now. The stringchoice was made by my luthier who I think put the cheapest strings he had on my bass as he said the once on there before where completly "dead" soundwise.
    The E by the way is not metalic it just goes "thump" when I pluck it and has basicly no 41 Hz tone at all as I can hear it but that maybe because of my bass, I dont know.

But my main concern is the other strings that just sound so awful metalic banjo-like. Should I keep playing it to hope they settle down or should I change them? If I should change, I'm in the market for a good affordable jazz-pizz-string.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Thomastik Precision are full-core steel strings.
    A very old technology, and they indeed sound very bright and are stiff to play.
    Maybe your E string works correctly, but beside the other very bright strings, you may not hear it correctly. (just a guess)
    Maybe you could change the Precisions with Thomastik Superflexibles.
    They're quite affordable and darker sounding.
    They will take a few weeks to settle in though, as any other string.
  3. trocadero

Jun 12, 2005
    Gamleby, Sweden
    ok, so I guess I'll change strings to something else.

I want a dark tone, with good funadmentals. I hear spirocores delivers THE sound for jazz-pizz. Is it a big change to flexibles? Are they much weaker sound-wise?
  4. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I don't think you'll get a dark tone with Spirocores.
    Superflexibles are a bit darker.
    They are also somewhat thinner and have less tension.
    The volume will depend on your bass.
    I once had an hungarian ply that had more volume with Superflexibles than Spiros.
    Do you want sustain?
    Orchestral strings are usually darker but you'll loose sustain.
  5. trocadero

Jun 12, 2005
    Gamleby, Sweden
    Do I want sustain? I want it all!!! ;)

Seriosly, I'm a beginner so I havn't tried so many basses and strings to know what I'm after.

I like Patituccis sound on Footprints Live! and I like Grenadiers sound on the villige vanguard-discs with Mehldau. But I also like Jack De Johnettes übersustain that he have on the Keith Jarrett-albums sometimes. So I dont really know.

I think I will go for the superflexibles, seems like a good middle way to go. And then I can use a bow if I ever get one, right?. Is superflexibles an orchestra-type string? If not, give me examples of orchestra-type strings
  6. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    It's an hybrid string, meaning it can be used for both pizz and arco.
    A few examples:
    Pirastro Flexocors, Original Flexocors, Original FlatChromesteel.
    D'Addario Helicore Orchestrals.
    Jargar strings.
    Innovation 140B strings.
    Many other strings may be considered hybrid, like Corellis, Superflexibles, Pirastro Permanents and FlatChromesteels, etc.
  7. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    If you're lookinf for a good hybrid sting I highly reccomend the helicore hybrids.

They have a great sound bowed of pizz. I actually use them on my orchestra bass (E and A). They basically sound like the orch helicores except they are lighter tension and a little brighter.
  8. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    You mean Garry Peacock. I like his sound too, though at first I wasn't crazy about it. I just switched to Dominants from Animas a couple weeks ago...still getting used to them, but they are dark enough for me so I like them for that...they don't project as much as the Animas, that's for sure, but they have a rounder sound than the Animas, I'm guessing this is due to them being flatwound as opposed to roundwound.