1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stringay vs. Fender Jazz Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squakk, May 14, 2006.

1. Squakk

Squakk

Apr 18, 2006
    Can anone describe to me the difference between EBMM Stingray 4's and Fender Jazz? If possible, desribe the difference in sound, not that the stingray has "it's signature sound." Also, how do they compare for slapping? Thanks for the help!

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i see this is your first post. its helpful if you include more information like, what kind of music do you play, whats your budget, what models of stingray or fender jazz are you looking at (theres a ton of different ones), are you just using it for slap, etc. if you give a lot of information, then we can help you.

Also, use the search function, it's your friend. This topic has been done dozens of times, if you do a search you can find them and read all the posts there. Also, its a good idea to look at the manufacturers websites. you can download the manuals and specifications sheets to compare/contrast.

welcome to talkbass.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Stingray slaps the Jazz and calls it Sally.

4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    but than the jazz says "you hit like a girl, and if sally is the name of your daddy, than im him!" no really, i love both for different reasons, but theres no winner between the two imo because of the major differences.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Go Fender!

6. I personally like slapping the Jazz but only if the action on it is just right. But seeing how I've never played an actual Stingray (played a few Sterlings and S.U.Bs) I wouldn't know what that's like. I'd imagine it would be quite nice though.

7. stingray for rock/funk.. fender jazz for.. well jazz

8. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Obvious answer to this one: GET BOTH! (please excuse the raised voice.)

9. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I happen to own both:

DSCF0866.

DSCF1038.

My favorite slap tone is the Marcus Miller vibe, and the Jazz gets it all the way. I find the Stingray a little too brittle sounding for slap.

10. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    different sound ,,,but also a different width and feel of the neck...i do like the jazz neck.

11. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    I've had both (and soon I'm going to have both again :hyper: ), and I use the 'Ray for the heavier stuff, but also for the 70/80s vibe. Although it has 'only' one pickup, it's very versatile. With the jazz I play mainly jazz, and other styles that require a more smooth tone, but also the 70/80s vibe will work on a jazz and to be honest, a jazz can do almost anything. Due to its two pickups, you can create a different tone very quickly just by moving your fingers from one pickup to another (or in between ...).
    So in the end they're both fine and versatile basses. For me it's just a difference in tone and feel. Just play some and decide for yourself what suits you the best.

12. PaulMack

PaulMack

Apr 29, 2006
    Jazz Bass........nuff said

13. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Both equally great basses with their own particular tonal characteristics (sp) bassically you wont go far wrong with either.

Imo the Stingray has a bit more "bite/growl" in a live situation but is a bit limited sonically ..ie it always sounds like a Stingray but thats a good thing..the Fender jazz gives you more tone shaping possibilities...at the end of the day both are fantastic instruments and you wont go wrong with either of 'em.

14. Squakk

Squakk

Apr 18, 2006
    Well, currently I have a SUB, and assuming that I'd need to sell it to afford either a Stingray or an equally priced jazz bass, I was looking for opinions on the difference in sound.

I like the slap tone on the SUB, but I havn't been able to hear slap on a jazz. I play mostly fingerstyle but occasionally slap, if that helps.

Overall, how does the SUB sound compare to the Stingray sound, and how does the signature stingray sound compare to the alleged fender growl?

Also, I've tried searching, but I keep ending up with obscure appearances of the phrase I search for in random threads, but I'm probably using it wrong. Who knows.

Thanks!

15. Squakk

Squakk

Apr 18, 2006
    Also, what jazz basses would you recommend that are priced at about the same level as a used stingray?

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you took the time to read his very brief post, you would know that he is not asking which is BETTER or which he should buy; he is asking how they are different.

Thanks for playing.

Squakk to answer your question, I would honestly just go with a Made in America Standard jazz bass.

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    figjam i never thought i would hear you support a fender;)

i play a fender jazz (and love it to death), but im a fingerstyle player. personally for slap i would say get a stingray.

bet you didn't expect that one either;)

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I greatly respect Marcus' tone, and for that I cant ALWAYS hate on Fender. If I ever were to get a jazz bass, it would be a lakland or a sadowsky, not a Fender, though. Like the slap tone, but I dont like Fenders' necks...

19. Squakk

Squakk

Apr 18, 2006
    I guess what i'm really after is a side-by-side comparison of the sound, with audio clips. Is there any place where I can find that?

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm, in one place, hard to say. Isnt there a music store near you where you can try some?