stringing a 4 string bead

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongo499, Feb 27, 2005.

1. bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    i have a warwick corvette standard passive... and i love low tones and i rarely ever use my g string.. should i string it bead or will it take away from the sound.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You will need to get a setup done on it to correct intoation and action. If you like having is strung BEAD, then you may also want to widen the nut slots to fit the bigger strings. As far as taking away from the sound, it's really up to you. Try it and see of you like it. If not, then switch back.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That B will flop like mad if you're using an E string, so try it at first with your EADG strings. If you like it, you'll want to switch to BEAD strings.
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Sorry this statement just is not true. I have 2 basses that I just tuned down to BEAD. My Essex actually handles this really well. I do not have any trouble with it like it is. I did have to re-EQ my rig to adjust for the tone differences. I just found that having to have a different nut cut for my bass was not going to happen and I feel that it works well. IMO :meh:
  5. ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    Really? Wow, it's hard to imagine it even being playable when tuned that far down. I've played down a full step, and that was barely do-able (for me). What gauge is your B string? Just curious; I don't doubt that it works fine for you, "one-size-fits-all" solutions are pretty rare.

I do think it might be safe to say that most people restring with heavier gauges - like the bottom 4 strings of a 5-string bass - when they do this. I sure did - my B is a .130. Just like bongo, I like the extended lower range, and I rarely used the G, really don't miss it at all now.

The above opinions should be respected at your own risk... :D

*awaits flames from NGCDTAAPAC (Non-Gauge-Changing Down-Tuner Association of America Political Action Committee)* ;)
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get a five string set of strings and throw your G-string into the crowd ;)

If you use proper gauges to avoid flop, it'll usually sound great. Any bass that growls at standard tuning, I've found will growl more when tuned down a fourth.
  7. Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I have my Sterling strung BEAD, and overall, I love it. I think the on-board pre-amp may be having some trouble with the B, or it may be my amp, I'm still testing. Use a 5 string set, and chuck the G. I ordered D'Adarrio's from Musicians Friend, got 2 sets (.130 bottom) for $23. Cheap way to check it out, and if you hate it, just use the other set until you can get a 4 set you like better.