1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stringing a 5 string bass with a high C

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by peteswanson91, Nov 29, 2006.

1. peteswanson91

peteswanson91 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am looking at purchasing a 5 string electric (have only played upright) and was wondering if I can string it with a high C rather than a low B...would I have to have adjustments made on the instrument?
    Thanks...also am looking or a small practice amp..ie. only for practicing in my small apartment...doesn't need to be loud, but would like a nice, clean sound

2. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I do it on my Zon with no adjustments except saddle heights. However, on a wood neck you'll have to give the neck some relief so there will be adjustment to the truss rod. It also depends a little on the bass. If it has an angled back head design, you should be ok. If not, you might have to replace the nut and have it slotted properly for the lighter strings. If the bass is a keeper, I'd probably do that anyway, but if you might sell it eventually you're better off leaving it because most people use the B.

3. Burg

Burg

Nov 29, 2001
    U.K.
    You can get hold of 5-string sets with a high C rather than a low B and can pretty much just replace them as normal.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've done it with no modification - other than action, intonation, etc. - but you do that whenever you make a change like new guage strings, etc.

I'm looking at getting another 5er to do just this.