Stringing a G&L Tribute L-2500

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tommythomas, May 11, 2004.

1. I know asking what kind of string to use is all too common around here but maybe this time it will be a more specific question.

I am about to purchase a G&L Tribute L-2500 (the 5 string) Any comments based on experience with this bass would be appreciated.

But my question, I want to string this with strings that will really cut through the mix. Almost a Chris Squire/Yes kinda sound. I have another bass that gives me the warmer fatter sound.

My band does mostly classic rock covers. I play fingerstyle with mostly a light touch but I like to dig in occasionally.

Thanks for any input.
  2. Was it something I said in my post? No replies. No ideas or suggestions out there?
  3. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I used Daddario Slowwounds on my G&L ASAT. But since they stopped making them........ :crying: The general consensus on G&Ls are that TI Powerbass strings were made for them. I bought a set. They didn't thrill me at first, but the more I played them, the better they sounded. I haven't made up my mind yet on them tough. As far as the Chris Squire cut through the mix sound, only a Rickenbacker sounds like that.
  4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    DR Hibeams: moderate tension so a light touch would work, very bright out of the pack and they hold on to the highs pretty well for a long time.
  5. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    You know what really cut through on my Jazz Bass? D'Addario Prisms.
  6. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I also use TI powerbass on my G&L L-2000s. I tried Blue Steels, and DR Fatbeams before, and couldn't get the sound and feel I wanted... The higher tension and the smoothness of the nickel with the TIs really work for me. Plus they sound great through those big MFD pickups.

7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Dr low riders sound sweet on G & L's
  8. NoFret

Feb 15, 2003
    East Sussex , UK
    TI Powerbass or jazz rounds...both are awesome on a L2500 !!