Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stringing a Lakland 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ThumpNPluck, Nov 16, 2000.

1. ThumpNPluck

ThumpNPluck

Jun 22, 2000
    New York City
    Have any of you Lakland 5 owners out there had any experience stringing through the bridge as opposed to through the body? As the proud new owner of a 55-94, I'd be curious to hear what your results were using this alternate stringing method. Lakland says it makes a big difference in the B string, but there are other brands of strings that I prefer that won't work through the body, and I'm wondering how big a difference it really makes. Care to comment?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Haven't tried it and probably won't. Too happy with the Lakland Nickel strings that fit perfectly.

3. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    i agree with brad thump n pluck.where's yo profile thump and pluck.

[Edited by starr on 11-18-2000 at 10:10 AM]

4. ThumpNPluck

ThumpNPluck

Jun 22, 2000
    New York City
    As a follow-up to my own post (and for anyone who might be interested) I tried stringing my Lakland through the bridge instead of through the body, and I'd have to say that I don't hear much of a difference, which is good news for people like me who like brands of strings other than Lakland's. I changed strings one at a time and compared each new string to the remaining strings of the original Lakland set. I couldn't hear any difference in volume or sustain (and I am extremely particular about such things). The strings I am currently using are Sadowskys, which are very interesting-sounding strings, for those of you who have never tried them, and a great value at $25/set.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Laklands are $22/5 string set.