Stringing a warwick BEAD with a brass nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mactac, Mar 12, 2006.

1. so, I'd like to try stringing my warwick BEAD. problem is, it's got a brass adjustable nut. any way to do this without replacing the nut?

I was thinking it might be possible to unscrew each string-nut and somehow finding ones for a 5 string & using the top 4 screws from that, but i'm not sure if they would fit

any other ideas, or has anyone done this? I'd rather not make any permanent changes, because i might want to switch back...
    thanks!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Depending on the string gauges you use, you can sometimes switch to a BEAD tuning without even changing your nut. A lighter-gauge B string (like a .120) isn't much thicker than your average E string. Have you tried putting a B string in your E's nut slot to see if it sits in it alright yet?

3. duuuh... never even thought of that. i was positive that my .135 wouldn't work, but i had some 120's lying around, and bingo.

thank you !!

4. lightfingers

lightfingers

Jan 13, 2006
    I am certain your idea WILL work. I have a 5 string Warwick with an adjustable brass nut and all of the screws are the exact same size. Only the groove for the strings are different. I know this because I just, two days ago, took all of the screws out of the nut to clean it and I had to make sure that I didn't put the screws back in the wrong hole. So all you need to do is get is the screw for a B string and eliminate your screw for the G string.