Stringing a warwick BEAD with a brass nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mactac, Mar 12, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    so, I'd like to try stringing my warwick BEAD. problem is, it's got a brass adjustable nut. any way to do this without replacing the nut?

I was thinking it might be possible to unscrew each string-nut and somehow finding ones for a 5 string & using the top 4 screws from that, but i'm not sure if they would fit

any other ideas, or has anyone done this? I'd rather not make any permanent changes, because i might want to switch back...
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Depending on the string gauges you use, you can sometimes switch to a BEAD tuning without even changing your nut. A lighter-gauge B string (like a .120) isn't much thicker than your average E string. Have you tried putting a B string in your E's nut slot to see if it sits in it alright yet?
  3. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    duuuh... never even thought of that. i was positive that my .135 wouldn't work, but i had some 120's lying around, and bingo.

thank you !!
  4. lightfingers

Jan 13, 2006
    I am certain your idea WILL work. I have a 5 string Warwick with an adjustable brass nut and all of the screws are the exact same size. Only the groove for the strings are different. I know this because I just, two days ago, took all of the screws out of the nut to clean it and I had to make sure that I didn't put the screws back in the wrong hole. So all you need to do is get is the screw for a B string and eliminate your screw for the G string.