Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stringing my 5 E through C

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRB, Jun 2, 2005.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi everyone,

Well for a little while know I have been stringing my backup E through C and like what it gives me, but I do miss the B string. I was wondering if anyone else out there has made the switch from B to G to E to C. I like the feel more then going to a 6 string but I am not sure about the trade off especially because the C makes slapping the G string a little more of a pain.

Also my current bass, a hotwire big apple 5, is great but it would not work well for the high C. Any ideas as a good bass for this type of set up. Also would I need to special order it or would just changing the nut be the only difference? Thanks for the imput.

2. does that screw anything up? i'd like to tune E thru C as well.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    many cats do that, Mike Flynn, Dominique DiPiazza, Matt Garrison... one of these days I'm going to have my next 5'er E-C tuning...

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would miss the low B too much. And being able to play in F at the sixth fret.

5. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Any bass with a Steinberger tuning system would definitely be okay with that. Steinberger, Hohner, etc. I am also interested in doing this.

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I do it. Never going back.

7. Me too.

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    It's funny. I had a low B on my fretless Peavey Cirrus 5 for years. It's a great bass but it gets the least playing time out of all my basses. Just last week I pulled it out of the closet to take some pix of it to get it ready for sale. On a whim I strung it E to C with some Ernie Ball Slinkys I had hanging around. Now it's a totally different bass--I love it.

I've never been crazy about strings above G on fretted basses, but I think it sounds great on my fretless. I find myself playing more chordally and contrapuntally. I'm thinking of getting a Hipshot D-Tuner for the E string to get some lower notes. I find most 6 string necks too wide to be comfortable so this might be the best way for me to get the widest range.

9. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I agree with Embellisher. I love the low notes. I'm sure you can do some cool little short cuts tuned that way and there might be a need to change your set up a little. Perhaps a string guage change as well.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Steve Swallow is another one...

MM

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ... and Steve Swallow :D !

...Just saw him with Sco and Bill Stewart last month!

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Me Too.

13. Don't forget that you can always add a Hipshot detuner to your low E and flip it down to a B as needed. Matt Garrison does this.

Ibanez SR 406 is an easy six stringer to play with a neck like a 5.
    I know of one for sale if you think you'd wanna go that way.

You should be able to string any 5 stringer to an E-C tuning. A little string brand experimenting with the high C will give you different sound/results.

14. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the reply everyone. I appreciate the info

15. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Any recommendations on an E-C set? I'm interested in converting my 2Tek Hamer cruise to such a bass, and don't want to waste my money.

What about flatwounds?

16. Sorry, haven't been home for awhile...

What I've done in the past (10yrs or so) is to use whatever four string set I like and then buy several single strings from music stores until I find something that gives me the right amount of bassiness and treble. I now play sixes and have a recommendation below.

I can't help with flats as I don't use them. Infelds are often said to be the brightest sounding flats...

I like Fodera's stainless light set for my sixes.

Hope this helps. juststrings.com carries them. They aren't cheap. Matt Garrison uses their Nickel sets in the EADGC tuning. Maybe you can get an idea from listening to his 1st CD.

Jim T.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you're stringing E-C, you can put a Hipshot X-tender key on your low E and make it capable of tuning down to a D, or even a low B, so if you're quick, you can add some of those low notes in there while still playing E-C.