stringing problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Irie01, May 11, 2002.

1. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Alright, I was looking to get a more warmer bassier sound through my strings and I went and bought a set of D'Addario nickel rounds because that is what the guy at guitar center suggested. Well, I totally messed up puttin on the D string because I cut it just enough too short that it wont fit. I was pissed. But I still put on the E and A string to see what they sounded like. ONe thing though was that there was a terrible fret buzz on the E string. If I plucked the F on my E string you couldnt eevn hear the note, just buzz. Aside from that I also found that they sounded even brighter than the Ernie Ball slinkys that were on there already. Why was this?MAybe the buz is my action but I dont know how to adjust it on this Sterling.Also, anyone have any suggestions on some nice low, warm soundin strings for reggae style?
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    tsk tsk tsk :) -- for changin' strings.

Here's a setup article from the Gary Willis site. It's for his
    signature bass, but most of the stuff can be applied to
    settin' up any bass --

Strings...hmm. I think the music store guy mighta' been on the
    right track :eek:. I dunno beans about reggae, but I figger it's more
    "thumpity-thumpity" vs. "clickety-clackity" :). Therefore, flats or
    ground-rounds would be the way to go. Some options there would
    be GHS Precision Flats or Brite Flats, or Ken Smith Compressors.
  3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Instead of worryin' about your action, check this first.

When you wound your strings, did you wind from the top of the string post down? The string should go straight across the fretboard, across the nut, and then angle sharply down toward the headstock. If not, unwind the string, then wind from the top of the string post so that it winds down.

Also, if you changed the gauges of your strings, your nut may have too large of a cutout and it won't hold it up off the frets.

Just a few thoughts.
  4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Along the lines of what hunter585 just said, make sure you have enough windings on your post to get that downward force on the nut. I've got 3 windings on my G, D and E string and 4 windings on my A string (A strings are especially prone to buzz if you don't have enough tension on 'em). When I string my Fender P, I cut the strings no less than 4 inches past the post they will be wrapped around (about 5 inches for the A string). Also, when cutting your strings, it's a good idea to make a 90-degree bend in the string, just before the cut (it keeps the string from unwinding).
  5. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Another thought: Did you put the old D-string back on before testing the E and A strings? If not, the missing pull from the D-string will cause the neck to straighten a little, and this may be enough to cause the buzzing.