1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stringing tenor

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EADG mx, Apr 9, 2006.

1. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    I am thinking of stringing my Studio 5 tenor. I was just wondering if this would have a significant change in tension on the neck. I definetely can't damage it at all since it's neck-thru.

The nut might be fine, I tried this with my Samick 4 and it seemed to work ok. Of course I will need to totally redo the action and intonation but that's ok.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    There's no problem with doing it. You'll want to make sure you get a complete set-up - including nut grooves and string saddles that fit the strings well. Other than that, it's straightforward...

MM

3. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005

I tried it with my 4 string and the nut was fine. My bass doesn't have saddle grooves so I don't have to worry about that.

I am really worried about the change in string tension and damaging the neck or truss rod.

4. Lunardecay

Lunardecay

Mar 6, 2006
    Whats a tenor?

5. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    If you're talking about stringing it ADGC, you have nothing to worry about. You're not planning on using the same strings and tuning them up a fourth, right? You need to buy special strings, and then just tune up slowly, if you see a whole lot of relief in the neck (which i'm sure you won't) while your tuning it up, then tweak the truss rod, otherwise, string it up, adjust the neck/action and intonation and go. I wouldn't worry about the nut or bridge slots unless you find it to be a problem after you set it up.

-Will

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If by tenor, you mean, EADGC, then there are no worries. Just buy a six string set and toss the B, or pick up a single C if you find a place that sells them.

You'll find that there is very little difference in the overall tension on the neck. Certainly no more than simply changing to a different brand or guage of string.

7. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005

It's a 5 string, I'm string it EADGC. I order a 6 string set I'm going to use the top 5 strings of. My bass doesn't have bridge slots.

8. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005

I ordered a 6 string set that should be here in a few days.