1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stringing up Fenders : through-body vs. through-bridge? (TI flats?)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by osciphex, May 4, 2006.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Will strings that fit string-through-bridge Fenders not fit string-through-body Fenders and vice versa? ... specifically, will TI flats fit a through-body Fender jazz?

I'm looking at a through-body strung Fender Jazz... I don't want to buy it and then find out regular strings won't fit it...

2. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    I have my 03 MIA Fender Jazz strung through body with TI flats - not a problem, works just fine!

3. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    My RB IV is strung throught the body with TI flats. Again, no problems.

4. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    My 97 MIA P has a bridge that lets me go either through bridge or through body. I run my strings through the bridge just because that's the way I always have. Aren't most fenders with the threw body option like this?

5. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Yeah, you can string them either way.

6. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    I was told by someone at Lakland (I don't remember his name), that Lakland doesn't recommend stringing flats through the body. He said that it creates undue stress (and premature breakage) on the string, due to the extreme angle the string takes over the bridge. He said that rounds are inherently more flexible, and therefore don't have that problem. I don't know if it's true, but it sounded reasonable to me.