Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stringing with High C

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Buddhaful, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Buddhaful

Buddhaful

May 17, 2005
    If I were to purchase a bass such as this one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212263

what issues would I face if I were to string the bass with an E - C configuration as opposed to B - G?

With the bridge on this bass, I don't see any issues with stringing it up, but I'm wondering about intonation, etc.

If a bass such as this is made for B-G, would stringing it E-C cause me any headaches?

I currently play a 5 string, E - C, and am looking for a backup. Apparently mine is the only one in the world made that way, at least that's how it seems. Mine is made for a high c, as a b string will not even fit thru the bridge of my bass.

thanks.

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    1) Very likely you'll need to get a new nut made, but if the strings aren't rattling around in the nuts slots, and there's no fret buzz, then don't worry about it.

2) You'll need to adjust the intonation, since you'll be using different string gauges than what the bass was set up for

3) Matt Garrison, Steve Swallow and many others have and do play 5 strings tuned E to C.

3. I got a b-g warwick rockbass streamer and restrung it e-c and had absolutley no problems. I didnt adjust anything. Plays nicely althought the C is a little bit quieter than the other strings so i think i am going to raise that side of the pick up when I get a chance.