Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stringray 5 sound from a bass w/ 19mm spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Can anyone recommend a bass that has the tonal characteristics of a MM Stringray but with a 5 string spacing of 19mm? I loved my old musicman, but the string spacing just wasn't right for me. I know it's not much of a difference, but my hands can tell.

thanks!
    scb

2. They're rare, but you might be able to snag a Lakland 55-76. It's got a single Bartolini or Duncan 5-string Music Man pickup.

Or, you could build a bass from Warmoth parts.

Keep in mind, of course, that the Stingray sound stems greatly from the proprietary EB/MM pickup and preamp. But, I'm sure you've heard that a kajillion times.

3. They're rare, but you might be able to snag a Lakland 55-76. It's got a single Bartolini or Duncan 5-string Music Man pickup.

Yeah, I don't know if I have ever seen one of those in a store.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sean, if you find the answer to your question please let us know. I can't hang with the 'Ray 5 spacing either.

5. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    mtd kingston 5, i just picked one up on clearance for 225. :bassist: the spacing on this is really wide compared to most ive played. i have big hands so i need this.

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    A Kingston has wide spacing, but I'm not thinking it has the sound of a Stingray. . .

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    what about G+L? I'm sorry if there the same with spacing I really dont know what they are.

They seem pretty Musicmanish though

AJ

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    G&L L2500s have the same string spacing as a MMSR5. 17 mm.

Chas

9. Fuzzbass

Yep, and nut widths are equally slim at 1-3/4".

The G&L 2500 is another bass I'd own if not for the spacing. Thank goodness Fender offers traditional spacing on their fivers.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I owned a Stingray5 until about three months ago and I currently play a G$L L2500. I don't know the actual string spacing so I'll take everyone else's word that they are the same but the MM definitely felt thinner to my hands. That having been said I love the feel of both necks.

11. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I played both the SR5 and the G&L 2500. The G&L has wider string spacing than the SR5.

The G&L is 19mm compared to 17mm for the SR5.

I liked the G&L 2500, and it got close to the SR5 sound, but not quite.

After awhile, I did not think the B string had enough tension for my taste. But then again, I have a heavy touch.

12. Yeah, I find 1.75'' to be kinda tight for a 5-string's nut width. I prefer 1.875''.

13. I can get a pretty good SR sound out of my MTD Heir. Mine has a 2-band preamp in it, so that helps.

14. Fuzzbass

Hmm, maybe one of these days I'll "activate" a Kingston 5 and see what happens. Anyone tried this?

15. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    actually an active mtd k5 might be awsome... with some sweepable mids... :eek:

16. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I think your best bet would be to snag a MTD kingston and immediately replace the pickups and preamp to something that's a little beefier and more 'ray sounding.

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Having owned an L2500 for two years, I must politely say that you are mistaken.

The G&L bridge 2.75" total spacing for a individual spacing of 17.5 mm. The SR5 is the same.

Chas

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Hrm..how could I replace the pickup in the kingston if nobody offers a MM5 pickup that can handle the 19mm spacing? Or am I wrong, and any MM5 pickup fit in a Kingston? This might be a good way to go, especially since my main bass (at the moment) is an MTD 535.

19. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    here's one option i think...

(down the page a bit) MV5CBC - 5 string dual coil pickup in Music Man 5 shape. String width covered is 68mm to 78mm on medium curvature fingerboards

you could always try AERO - AERO

they could even do something custom for you - AERO rules - they are my personal favorite pickup.

oh, and i'd suggest the 2-band Aguilar or Bart preamp. just personal preference.