Stringray 5 sound from a bass w/ 19mm spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Can anyone recommend a bass that has the tonal characteristics of a MM Stringray but with a 5 string spacing of 19mm? I loved my old musicman, but the string spacing just wasn't right for me. I know it's not much of a difference, but my hands can tell.

thanks!
    scb

2. They're rare, but you might be able to snag a Lakland 55-76. It's got a single Bartolini or Duncan 5-string Music Man pickup.

Or, you could build a bass from Warmoth parts.

Keep in mind, of course, that the Stingray sound stems greatly from the proprietary EB/MM pickup and preamp. But, I'm sure you've heard that a kajillion times.

3. They're rare, but you might be able to snag a Lakland 55-76. It's got a single Bartolini or Duncan 5-string Music Man pickup.

Yeah, I don't know if I have ever seen one of those in a store.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    MTD Kingston.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sean, if you find the answer to your question please let us know. I can't hang with the 'Ray 5 spacing either.

6. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    mtd kingston 5, i just picked one up on clearance for 225. :bassist: the spacing on this is really wide compared to most ive played. i have big hands so i need this.

7. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    A Kingston has wide spacing, but I'm not thinking it has the sound of a Stingray. . .

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    what about G+L? I'm sorry if there the same with spacing I really dont know what they are.

They seem pretty Musicmanish though

AJ

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    G&L L2500s have the same string spacing as a MMSR5. 17 mm.

Chas

10. Fuzzbass

Yep, and nut widths are equally slim at 1-3/4".

The G&L 2500 is another bass I'd own if not for the spacing. Thank goodness Fender offers traditional spacing on their fivers.

11. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I owned a Stingray5 until about three months ago and I currently play a G$L L2500. I don't know the actual string spacing so I'll take everyone else's word that they are the same but the MM definitely felt thinner to my hands. That having been said I love the feel of both necks.

12. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I played both the SR5 and the G&L 2500. The G&L has wider string spacing than the SR5.

The G&L is 19mm compared to 17mm for the SR5.

I liked the G&L 2500, and it got close to the SR5 sound, but not quite.

After awhile, I did not think the B string had enough tension for my taste. But then again, I have a heavy touch.

13. Yeah, I find 1.75'' to be kinda tight for a 5-string's nut width. I prefer 1.875''.

14. I can get a pretty good SR sound out of my MTD Heir. Mine has a 2-band preamp in it, so that helps.

15. Fuzzbass

Hmm, maybe one of these days I'll "activate" a Kingston 5 and see what happens. Anyone tried this?

16. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    actually an active mtd k5 might be awsome... with some sweepable mids... :eek:

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I think your best bet would be to snag a MTD kingston and immediately replace the pickups and preamp to something that's a little beefier and more 'ray sounding.

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Having owned an L2500 for two years, I must politely say that you are mistaken.

The G&L bridge 2.75" total spacing for a individual spacing of 17.5 mm. The SR5 is the same.

Chas

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Hrm..how could I replace the pickup in the kingston if nobody offers a MM5 pickup that can handle the 19mm spacing? Or am I wrong, and any MM5 pickup fit in a Kingston? This might be a good way to go, especially since my main bass (at the moment) is an MTD 535.

20. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    here's one option i think...

(down the page a bit) MV5CBC - 5 string dual coil pickup in Music Man 5 shape. String width covered is 68mm to 78mm on medium curvature fingerboards

you could always try AERO - AERO

they could even do something custom for you - AERO rules - they are my personal favorite pickup.

oh, and i'd suggest the 2-band Aguilar or Bart preamp. just personal preference.